Best rail pass for car and train trip Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2023 at 5:20:24 #829604

Hi Everyone

I will be travelling in Switzerland mainly by car but want to buy a travel pass for the Grindelwald area for 4 consecutive days. I will also then be going to Andermatt by car then from Andermatt to St Moritz by train then the next day from St Moritz to by train to

Tirano then straight back to St Moritz then back to Andermatt.

Is there a more cost effective way of doing this combination train travel than buying the Jungfrau 4day pass then buying separate train tickets to St Moritz and Tirano

Also with the Jungfrau pass if you want to do the boat trips on the lake Brienz do you have to go within the 4 days or can you go anytime

Regards John

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    18 April 2023 at 9:48:43 #953480

Hi John,

Most travellers find it practical to have the Swiss Half Fare Card when travelling by car. With the Swiss Half Fare Card you save money on excursions to the mountains and boat trips for example. This pass is valid throughout Switzerland so you can use it in Grindelwald as well as for your journeys to St Moritz and Tirano. You can find more information about the Swiss Half Fare Card here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard

You can find useful information about combining car and train for your travel here: http://www.myswissalps.com/carversustrain

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2023 at 9:35:06 #953481

Thanks for the information regarding my last request.

Since my last contact with you a few things have changed

1. Does the Swiss Half Fare Card cover the following.

Frakigaudi chairlift, The Stoos Funicular, Gemerbahn Funicular, Glacier 3000, Brienz Rothurn Bahn

2. As mentioned previously, I will be staying in Grindelwald for 5 nights and want to go to Grindelwald First, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen. Do you buy just one ticket for these villages or separate ticket for each section. Also will be getting a train from Andermatt to St Moritz then the next day from St Moritz to Tarino straight back to St Moritz.

So, is the Swiss Half Fare Card still the most cost effective way to travel

Regards John

Anna
    6384 posts
    29 April 2023 at 13:58:33 #953482

Hi John,

1. Based on your revised plans, here’s what the Swiss Half Fare Card covers:

• Frakigaudi (Pilatus): train + bus to Kriens and gondola to Fräkmuntegg – half price. Frakigaudi toboggan – no discount
    • Stoos funicular: train to Schwyz + bus to Stoosbahn half price. Funicular to Stoos village – half price
    • Gelmerbahn funicular: train + bus to Handegg – half price. Gelmerbahn funicular – no discount
    • Glacier 3000: train to Gstaad + bus to Col du Pillon – half price. Cable car to the top – half price
    • Brienzer Rothorn: train to Brienz – half price. Cogwheel train to the top – half price

2. Depending on your plans, you would need to purchase separate tickets for each journey. For instance an excursion from Grindelwald to Grindelwald First is best purchased as a return ticket. If you are combining trips to Lauterbrunnen and Wengen on the same day, you can purchase a combi ticket with the outward journey via Lauterbrunnen and return via Wengen (or the other way around). You can buy combi tickets easily from the train station. For the trip from Andermatt to St. Moritz, just a get a single point-to-point ticket. For the trip from St Moritz to Tirano and back, get a return ticket St.Moritz-Tirano-St.Moritz. All these routes are valid with the Swiss Half Fare Card.

For more details on how to use the Swiss Half Fare Card: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/howtouse

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2023 at 9:14:49 #953483

Thanks everyone for you’re help regarding my enquiries. I have one last request.

When travelling from Andermatt to St Moritz does it really matter if I take the Glacier Express or the local train. Which is the most convenient regarding changing trains along the way and also frequency

Regards

John

Anna
    6384 posts
    2 May 2023 at 10:28:41 #953484

Hi John,

I would stick with the local or regular train as this requires no prior seat reservation. There are connections every hour, however you would need to change train twice to get to St Moritz. The views and route are the same as per the Glacier Express. You can check the route details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Best rail pass for car and train trip Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.