Best trip of my life to Switzerland, thank you!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2019 at 15:57:18 #823855

Sorry its taken a while for me to post but I must first start by thanking the people who started and run this site. It is the most helpful place to get absolutely everything you need to plan an amazing trip. Numerous people asked for my itinerary and I send them here.

I planned a trip from June 17-29, 2019. I could not have asked for a better trip. From the arrangements, to the locations of everything, the comfort level, the scenery, the people, everything was superb. EVERYONE DIED OVER MY AMAZING PICS. I am officially in love with Switzerland.

Here was my itinerary. Although many told me not to go to Interlaken, it was a good place to begin and to get my “feet wet” – follow your gut and know what YOU want. I listened to some recommendations and basically did the majority on my own from much research. I am now planning a trip to Norway and having a tough time with it. I may end up back here for another trip.

Itinerary:

Day 1: Fly into Zurich and take a private car (Connect to transfer) to Interlaken where I stayed at the Hotel Interlaken. Super location, near the train station and across from Harder Kulm (Top of Interlaken), took the funicular up to stunning scenery, which was terrific. Loved the ride up the mountain. Interlaken has the best cuckoo selection around!

Day 2- Took the train from Ost to Wilderswil and then a cog wheel railway to Schynige Platte. I was BLOWN AWAY by its beauty. Did a bit of hiking and had dinner in town when I returned. Great full day. Back In Interlaken I took an early evening cruise ride to Is

Day 3- Took the train to Grindelwald, 33 minutes away. Walked the town and wen to the First Cliff Walk. It was cloudy so took the gondola down to town and hopped on a bus to the Glacier Gorge canyon walk which was amazing!! Went back up to First to see if it cleared up to go zip lining but it did not so got a chance to go gliding from the Top of First Mountain. Which was AMAZING…. hooked up to what seems like an airplane and you fly down the mountain. Super Cool. Lunch in town and train back to Interlaken for a fabulous dinner.

Day 4- Train to Lauterbrunnen where I stayed at the Hotel Oberland. 5 minute walk from the train. Booked the room overlooking the waterfalls. AMAZING VIEWS. Walked to the waterfalls, and then did the Trummelbach Falls- ten waterfalls, saw 6 (took the bus there). Made it a point to see the cows with their beautiful bells. TWICE. Dinner at the hotel was delicious.

Day 5- Woke up to amazing waterfalls with the window open. Amazing scenery. Took the cable car from Stechelberg to Schilthorn and then stopped in Murren on the way back. Lovely town. Took the train down to Lauterbrunnen. Back down for the walk to see the cows and along the river. Beautiful scenery everywhere.

Day 6- On my way to the Top of Europe. Left Lauterbrunnen by train, 12 minutes, to Wengen where they picked up my luggage to store until I returned. On the way up we stopped at Klein Scheidegg and it again was stunning. Amazing scenery.

Day 7- In Wengen, I stayed at the Hotel Belleuve and had a room overlooking the Lauterbrunnen Valley, best view ever!! SICK VIEWS. Thought I died and went to heaven. Took a gondola ride up to Mannlichen , hiked up the mountain and walked around a bit before taking it down for more hiking. Walked across town and found goats and forest hiking and back to back to the hiking spot I came to Switzerland for. Saw a helicopter drop off supplies to a home high in the mountains. It was the best hike of my life, overlooking the Laurterbrunnen Valley. Late Lunch in town, back to the hotel for dinner.

Day 8, Rose at 7 am for a 7:30 Alpine Diary Farm Tour to have a farm breakfast and watch and learn how they make cheese. AMAZING EXPERIENCE. Highly recommend. Left there at 11 am and took the train to Lauterbrunnen where I met my driver who took me to Zurich. Drove up to Zurich and stayed at the Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich, right next to the train station. Went for a wonderful walk through the old town and around the lake. Had dinner at a very old restaurant a block away. Walliser Kanne– highly recommend this- I think a 100 year old place.

Day 9- Left Zurich to return to the US.

Note, I had not planned the excisions or side trips until I got to Switzerland to keep an open mind and explore. However, I found the hotel choice, the amazing train system which is superb and the scenery to be perfect for what I was looking for.

I am now planning next years international trip and I am finding it difficult to find anything that could match this amazing country. May return sooner than I thought.

Hope this helps you all. USE THIS SITE- It is worth its weight in gold.

Lori

Florida

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 September 2019 at 17:18:29 #922201

Hi Lori,

Thank you for your compliments regarding our website, and thank you for your comprehensive report and wonderful images! I’m sure this will inspire future readers.

Congratulations on falling in love with Switzerland, that means you will have to come back 🙂 If you do, please drop by on MySwissAlps again, and we’ll be glad to assist.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 September 2019 at 22:06:54 #922202

Great photos Lori. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    15 September 2019 at 11:04:03 #922203

Fantastic pics! I’m glad you got something out of the forum.

Nlp1
    Participant
    5 posts
    15 September 2019 at 12:36:38 #922204

Lori,

Great Review!! We will be staying in Wengen, and I wanted to ask if you have the information on the tour you did for the Alpine Dairy Farm Tour to have a farm breakfast and watch and learn how they make cheese? Would be interested in booking this possibly. Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2019 at 8:10:05 #922205

No doubt its a great forum for Swiss travel planning

Cannot reach the photos, is there a separate link ?

thanks

Annika
    7124 posts
    16 September 2019 at 15:37:15 #922206

Hi Asimm76,

Do you see the blue links to the pictures at the bottom of Loristravels’ first post? You should be able to click them and then the photos will appear. You need to be logged in when doing so. Please let us know if that works.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2019 at 2:48:28 #922207

Photos can’t do this place justice it really was such an easy place to fall in love with for all the reasons stated in my post!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2019 at 2:49:44 #922208

The forum is priceless for planning a trip. Everything went as smooth as possible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2019 at 2:52:30 #922209

It’s in allmend. – they are the only ones who do it. Contact the tourist center or look on the official Wengen page/ I learned about it there. A must do visit!! Enjoy it immensely. Just a quick train ride from Wengen.

Priceless!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2019 at 2:53:46 #922210

Just click on the photos – they open up:)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2019 at 5:11:11 #922211

I think i wasnt logged in and therefore photos were not showing up

Wow, these are amazing photos, especially the first 4 photos and i agree that photos cant do justice to the real world of beauty, the Swiss Alps

Robert_fanta
    Participant
    1 post
    9 October 2019 at 10:46:09 #922212

Hello Lori

simply amazing, you certainly know how to enjoy life . Looking to do the same, thank you for sharing

tjoeller
    Participant
    3 posts
    13 October 2019 at 14:50:20 #922213

Hi Lori! – Great report and lovely photos!

I’m also #InLoveWithSwitzerland and I agree about MySwissAlps.com. It’s a great site for planning great trips to a fantastic country. I first visited Switzerland i 1981 and went back there several times in the eighties, and again in 2015, 2016 and 2017, hiking with my wife.

I made this small website to promote Switzerland in Denmark: schweiz.tips

I’m from the beautiful island Bornholm: bornholm.info/en/

Best Regards from Torben

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2019 at 17:33:11 #922214

Dear Loristravels,

Thank you for taking the time post your beautiful photos and writing your personal Switzerland travels! We appreciate it!

Best regards,

Suzanne

• The thread ‘Best trip of my life to Switzerland, thank you!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.