Best value rail pass for 5 day trip to Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 5:08:26 #809220

Hello,

I am planning to travel from Paris by train to wengen with my kids.(Age 12 & 15). My travel dates are from 20 August TO 28 August. My travel plan is

Day 1 Paris to Wengen by train. My scheduled time of arrival is 09.00AM @ CDG airport.

Day 2 Acclimatizing in hotel and in the evening exploring the area.

Day 3,4 & 5 explore area by available transport and by foot.

Day 6 Go to Geneva by train and see the city

Day 7 leave Geneva back to Paris.

I plan to visit jungfraujoch, the schilthorn, explore the lauterbrunen valley and do some easy hiking trails on the mountains.What is the best option available for me.

And any advice on cable care rides in summer rather than gonoldas.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 6:24:02 #852125

Consider Jungfrau Pass

http://www.myswissalps.com/ jungfrautravelpass

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 May 2016 at 6:39:30 #852126

Welcome to MySwissAlps Cutebunny!

The above mentioned pass may indeed fit your plans. Another option to consider is the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi, which includes the trip from the border to Wengen and back to the border (Geneva), plus 50% discounts on tickets during your stay. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisstransferticket.

In either case you also need tickets from and to Paris: myswissalps.com/ traintickets/ france.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 7:36:01 #852127

Hello,

Arno & superman888 thank you for the information.

However can you advise me about the best cable car rides in this region.And do children travel free with the area pass

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 May 2016 at 9:02:49 #852128

You’re welcome! What are you looking for in a cable car ride? There are wonderful cogwheel train rides as well. To Schynige Platte for example.

Children pay a fixed amount of CHF 30 to travel everywhere within the area of the pass. Go to superman888’s link and click “Where it’s valid”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 9:08:13 #852129

hello

Hay so sorry for my lack of knowledge about the cable cars.So actually I need advice on how to plan my stay with respect to which mountains to visit and I thought of extending my stay in wengen by two more days after having a look at superman888 link.By the way is wengen a good choice to explore the reigion

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 May 2016 at 9:16:17 #852130

Wengen is a wonderful car free village with good views. Please see myswissalps.com/ jungfrauregion/ activities for suggestions on what to do. There are some great hikes and walks listed there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 9:19:07 #852131

Thank you arno for the advice I will check.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 16:25:36 #852132

Hello,

I have decided on buying the jungfraujoch regional pass during my stay in wengen.Thank you for your help.However I have some confusion over buying the rail passes so need some clarifications.

1) Can I take the first early morning train up to jungfraujoch using my regional pass Ticket purchased @ 50% off. OR do I have to buy completely seperate set of Ticket.Can I get the family card along with the transfer ticket at the time of purchase.

2) Do I have to pay the CHF 30 for children when I purchase the regional ticket if I. Have the transfer ticket

3) I’m planning to start early from Geneva and catch the first available golden line train. On my eat to wengen so that I can visit the bear park in bern is it possible to safely Leave our luggage at the station @ bern.

4) So my journey to wengen from Geneva will have two stops along the way. that is Geneva to golden line starting point then at bern is this allowed with transfer ticket.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 May 2016 at 16:55:51 #852133

Hi again,

I am not sure which passes you mean. Jungfrau Travel Pass or Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland? And do you want to combine that with the Swiss Transfer Ticket?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 1:40:33 #852134

Hello,

thank you for the reply. I meant the jungfraujoch region pass. Combined with transfer ticket.

My travel plan is

PARIS ===== Geneva ===== Stay two day stay in Geneva ==== Take golden pass line To wengen ( with break in bern to visit bear park )

Stay in wengen for 5 days exploring the region

Return to PARIS at the end of stay.

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 May 2016 at 5:57:28 #852135

Hi Cutebunny,

I have not heard of the jungfraujoch region pass before. Can you post a link to more details? Are you sure you don’t mean one of the passes I mentioned?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 6:03:38 #852136

hello arno

I got the information from the link posted by superman888 on this thread the jungfraujoch travel pass

by the way what is the most convenient train station in Geneva to go to SAAN to catch the golden pass train to interlaken

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 May 2016 at 6:27:31 #852137

Hi Cutebunny,

Ok, now I know what you mean, it’s the Jungfrau Travel Pass. Sorry for trying to be that specific, but there are many rail passes with similar names in Switzerland. I’d recommend to use precise names to prevent confusion. For example, there’s a Swiss Travel Pass and a Swiss Pass, and these are two entirely different products.

Now, you can use the Swiss Transfer Ticket to travel from Geneva to Wengen via the fastest route. That’s via Bern, not via the Golden Pass line. You can break your trip in Bern and continue to Wengen later that day. You can request for a Swiss Family Card while ordering. Please find all details on how the Swiss Transfer Ticket works here: myswissalps.com/ swisstransferticket. Do read all the tabs to fully understands it’s pros and cons.

In addition you can use the Jungfrau Travel Pass for local trips. Take a good look at the map as it’s coverage is rather limited. But if it matches the area you want to see it’s perfect. Please see myswissalps.com/ jungfrautravelpass. It also explains about fares for children.

The main train station in Geneva is simply called Geneva. I am not sure where “SAAN” is. The Golden Pass line starts in Montreux: myswissalps.com/ goldenpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 6:47:28 #852138

Hi arno

Thank you for the reply. need a small clarification can I use the transfer ticket to go to wengen via the goldenpass line from Geneva on my inbound journey.

For my return i plan to use Bern. Route

can i get off Bern to visit the bear park and get on a train at a later time will the transfer card ticket allow that,

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 May 2016 at 7:43:30 #852139

Hi Cutebunny,

I answered exactly that in my previous post. Please see the second paragraph.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 8:19:14 #852140

Ohhh i am sorry Arno i missed that..

Does the transfer card need to be used on the very first day of your entry to Switzerland.i ask because i will be spending two days in Geneva and only after that i wiil use the transfer card…

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 May 2016 at 9:12:33 #852141

Hi Cutebunny,

No, that’s not required. While ordering, you can choose the first day of usage, so you can pick the date you’ve planned to depart from Geneva. Please see here for purchase options:

• The thread ‘Best value rail pass for 5 day trip to Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.