Bettmerhorn from Brig – Cable car changes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2016 at 0:45:59 #809094

Hi, we are due to depart on a few days. I have just been re-reading timetables etc and see that the cable car from Betten to Bettmeralp is closed during Spring. I think I found a temporary timetable but it was in German. We are travelling by train from Brig and the train timetable has an ‘alert’ regarding this. Can you please clarify this, how do we get to view the Glacier from Bettmerhorn, or is there an alternative? Should we perhaps consider Eggishorn instead?

Also if the weather closes in and viewing compromised, can you suggest something to do around Brig? I note the stockalperschloss.

Many thanks

PamAndMurray

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    4 May 2016 at 14:24:14 #851558

Hi PamAndMurray,

Unfortunately, May is too early to visit either Bettmerhorn or Eggishorn. The cable cars up to these viewing points will start running from June. Apart from that, there are construction works between Betten and Bettmeralp indeed, so you’d better look for an alternative. If you’d definitely like to see the Aletsch glacier, you may see if this hike is accessible. There’s still quite a lot of snow though, so the path may still be blocked. You’d best ask at a local tourist agency if you’re interested.

Alternatively you can visit several viewing points near Zermatt. In case of bad weather, the town centre of Brig with its Stockeralerpalast, Sion or Aigle and its castle are tips.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 May 2016 at 0:32:27 #851559

Stockalper’s Palace is interesting, and good for an hour, at most. In my opinion, anyway.

Weather in the Rhonetal is often sunny, when the rest of Switzerland is not.

You might want to take the Lötschberger train from Brig to Spiez,,and back. Via Kandersteg! Great scenery, but not glaciers.

If you are hikers, try this:

<<“http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/bls-sudrampe-trail">>

Or, go to Sion and climb up to the ruins.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Bettmerhorn from Brig – Cable car changes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.