Apartment in Brunnen 10 days in August

• Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    28 December 2018 at 20:20:44 #819300

In August, my partner and I are planning 10 days in Switzerland to explore the various transport and scenery options under the “Tellpass” ticket.

We want to have just one base for the entire period and are thinking of Brunnen.

We’re thinking of an apartment rather than a hotel but are open to suggestions.

The main thing is to find something fairly soon and “lock ourselves in” considering we will be visiting at what is no doubt a busy time.

We normally use hotels dot com for our accommodation bookings but find there’s not a big range of options for our current :Tellpass” thoughts .

Just for interest, back in 1989 my family had a 10 day stop at Kandersteg and we took an apartment – booked my snail mail with the assistant of a German speaking friend. The days before the internet seem hard to imagine 30 years later?

Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions

Paul (aka Gunzel) in Australia.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 December 2018 at 21:41:23 #901041

Hi Paul,

The booking process has definitely changed dramatically over the last 3 decades! There are still properties that can only be booked by e-mailing back and forth, but many can be paid for and booked straight away.

Can you share further details like exact dates and budget, as requested at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/how-to-get-help-finding-accommodation?

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    28 December 2018 at 21:53:44 #901042
    • Location: ideally Brunnen – but other locations in the Tellpass area can be considered.
    • number of travelers: two (mature age) adults
    • budget: happy to pay the going rate for what’s desired
    • arrival & departure date: arrive Monday 26 August 2019 depart Friday 6 September 2019
    • town & location (e.g. near a train station); Brunnen – within walking distance of station.
    • mode of transport you’ll be using mostly: public transport only.
    • any other wishes you may have: appreciate that a two week (Saturday to Saturday) booking may be required to secure desired accommodation.
    Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 December 2018 at 9:36:15 #901043

G’Day Gunzel

I opened the map for the Tell-Pass, and found that it covers a lot larger region than I expected:

http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpass

http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpass/validity

I can see why you would like to use it as a way to define an exploration area.

I also did a very skimpy quick search for lodgings in Brunnen and found very few.

Your logic for picking Brunnen is probably the combination of a really beautiful location on the lake, plus good train service on the 600 line. Frankly, I am surprised that there are not more offerings.

Once with family, we used the Swiss Holiday Park in Morschach. You do pay for the facilities and convenience, and we used a car to get to Brunnen station, as well as some other trips,even though there is good bus service once per hour. So, I don’t think it meets your needs.

I looked over the map of coverage, and find very few places with train service more frequent than once per hour that are on the lake. Flüelen might work. Also, there is a local now that runs from Erstfeld north, and the pass coverage goes that far south. But, it is not on the lake.

Another thought is the coast near Merlischchachen, but the train service is is only hourly, but twice that if you count both directions. And, it is likely higher priced, due to proximity to Luzern.

If you are willing to accept hourly bus service, the line from Brunnen along the coast to Küssnacht am Rigi offers quite a few nice towns.

Another thought is the Brunig line. Sarnen has three trains per hour to Luzern, as does Sachseln. Sachseln is on the Sarnersee, with nice views of Pilatus. Sachseln does have a fair amount of traffic from pilgrims to the the home of Bruder Klaus at Flüeli-Ranft…..And, you can go the other way, toward Brienz. Some of the places in the Haslital deserve some time. Depends a bit on how much hiking you want to do.

Good luck finding a place. It is hard to beat the complete set of amenities that Brunnen is blessed with.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 December 2018 at 9:57:48 #901044

Hi Gunzel-

I risk the wrath of the moderators to go off topic ;-), but I thought you’d find this website, and a few pictures to be interesting.

http://www.nmslrhs.org/

I stopped by there last month,while I was in Albuquerque, and had a nice chat with one of the restoration team.

The drive wheels are 2 meters in diameter.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 December 2018 at 18:34:05 #901045

Hi Paul,

I’ve been looking for holiday apartments in the area before and experienced the same scarcity as Slowpoke. In some regions it is mostly hotels, and I am not sure why that is to be honest. Well, it must be demand, but the region is wonderful…

Apart from the park that Slowpoke mentioned, I found that hotel “Schmid & Alfa” might fit your needs. You can check availability and prices here: https://www.hotelscomb ined.com/Hotel/Hotel_S chmid_Alfa.htm. It is on the lake and at walking distance from the train station. The boat dock is across the street. There are various nearby restaurants and supermarkets are on the way to the station. Their family apartment has a kitchenette, and it is still available for your exact dates (so Saturday to Saturday is not required). Quite a nice option if it fits your budget I think.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 December 2018 at 23:45:14 #901046

Great location, Arno

I’m amazed that you found it. You must have worked hard. 😉

Slowpoke

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    30 December 2018 at 4:29:18 #901047

Thanks for your tip Arno; it worked!

And was able to get the same rate through the web site I normally use under the “price match guarantee”.

I appreciate my original posting may have been off topic or in the wrong section so I will go back on topic to mention the aim of the 10 days is to utilise the TellPass to visit some transport operations not often mentioned in this forum.

The TellPass area was covered in an issue of “Today’s Railways” magazine about a year ago so it will be a good resource for our planning.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 December 2018 at 9:20:40 #901048

Great, you’re all set accommodation wise! Let’s indeed talk about the Tell-Pass and activities in another thread.

• The thread ‘Apartment in Brunnen 10 days in August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.