Buy 1 Swiss regional pass, and get 1 for free

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 July 2011 at 4:04:52 #834331

Hi Jenn,
    No, I don’t expect similar offers for the summer months. Offers like this are usually just for the off season.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2011 at 5:04:47 #834332

Hi
    I’m interested in this offer. It mentioned that the pass purchased end of Oct can be used for Nov but since the pass is only valid for 7 days, it can only be used until 7 Nov or if it’s a 15 days pass, it can only be used till 15 Nov?

Are there usually discounts for November as I’m considering a trip from mid to end Nov.

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 July 2011 at 5:35:41 #834333

Hi geniewho,

The latest start date for passes under this offer is October 31. From that point on, you can use the pass for its period of validity. It depends on the pass how long that is. The Adventure Card is valid for a month, for example. For details about each pass, please check the “More about…” links.

Please note that only the passes listed in the first post are part of this promotion.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2011 at 20:47:00 #834334

Hi
    Thanks for your explanations. Could I also check – it mentions in all the Regional Pass promotions that a child age 6 to 15 travel free if I have a Junior Card but i seem to have read somewhere that if we also have a Swiss Family Card, the child will travel free if accompanied by an adult? Is this true and where is this stated?

Thanks

Annika
    7103 posts
    11 July 2011 at 3:11:35 #834335

Hello geniewho! A Swiss Family Card indeed provides free traveling for children, but it’s only available along with national Swiss rail passes such as the Swiss Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card. So if you purchase a Regional Pass, you should buy Junior Travelcards for your children.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2011 at 3:55:32 #834336

Hi
    Thanks for the clarification. However I may also buy a Swiss Pass for my family members for the remaining days of my stay and hence would the Swiss family card help such that during the time I’m using the Regional Pass, my children’s transport costs will be free?

Thanks
    Genie

Annika
    7103 posts
    11 July 2011 at 9:33:20 #834337

Hi Genie. Children are only allowed to travel along for free with their parent(s) on a Swiss Family Card, not with other family members, so this isn’t an option.

The Junior Travelcard (CHF 30.00 per child and free from the 3d child), however, solves this problem: with these travelcards, your children will travel along for free with their parent(s) on all trips (even where the Regional Pass offers discounts instead of free traveling). So the Junior Travelcards offer the same benefits as the Swiss Family Card. The only difference is that the Swiss Family Card is for free with a national rail pass, and that the Junior Travelcards have to be paid for. Still, the purchase of Junior Travelcards along with a Regional Pass is extremely cost effective.

Does that answer your question? Best regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2011 at 1:22:54 #834338

Hi

My husband and I are travelling from Cinque Terre, Italy to Interlaken for 6 nights in October, using Interlaken as our base and doing day trips to Jungraujoch, grindlewald, and other interesting places yet to be determined, then onto Paris, would the Bernese Oberland 3/7 days pass suit us, better than a flexi pass or swiss card.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 July 2011 at 2:21:18 #834339

Hi rosedia,

Yes, I would say that the 7 day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland would suit your plans very well if you intend to do some intensive traveling in the region. The free travel days include more free travel services (such as cable cars) than the other passes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2011 at 2:41:59 #834340

Hi rosedia,

Yes, I would say that the 7 day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland would suit your plans very well if you intend to do some intensive traveling in the region. The free travel days include more free travel services (such as cable cars) than the other passes.

Thanks very much for the prompt reply.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2011 at 6:06:37 #834341

Hi Arno,

I did’nt mention in my previous question that we are travelling into Lauterbrunnen (not Interlaken as I said before) from Italy by train & out to Paris by train as well, does that make a difference
    to the type of card we should get? We still intend to travel every day in the Oberland region.

thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2011 at 10:44:35 #834342

Hello,

I am travelling to Wengen for 11 days in September. I will have the Swiss half price card which includes trnasfer by rail to and from my destination.
    I have been looking at regional passes and I agree they are quite confusing!
    I know the Jungfrau regional pass is valid for 6 consecutive days, but dosn’t include the boats on the lakes. So I would have to stay in the mountains for 6 consecutivew days, which is a bit restrictive, but if it saves me money then it’s worth it.

I can’t find out if the 15 day Bernese Oberland pass has to be consecutive days or not?

What my plans would be are 3 days at beginning of holiday spent exploring the two lakes using the B O pass, then 6 days using the J F pass, ending with 2 days using the B O pass . The only problem would be is if the B O pass has to be used consecutively.

I have found a UK website which sells the B O pass, is there anywhere I can buy the J F pass before I go?

Any other tips on saving money I would be gratful for.

I would also be greatful to know the current cost of the following in the mountain huts and local cafe’s.

Cappucino
    Coffee and Cake
    Glass/bottle coke/fanta etc
    Glass of wine
    Large local beer
    Bottle of wine/beer from local supermarkets
    Sandwiches/rolls from local supermarket/bakery

Looking forward to your tips!

Andrea x

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 July 2011 at 13:06:38 #834343

Hi rosedia,

Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken does not make a difference.

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 July 2011 at 13:16:07 #834344

Hi Andrea,

I assume you mean a Swiss Card? You can use that to get a 50% discount on the boat rides.

The free travel days of the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland do not have to be consecutive. Further details are on this page. You can buy it from there as well.

I wouldn’t recommend to buy 3 passes. Your Swiss Card already provides discounts on almost all traveling throughout Switzerland. For intensive regional traveling, just one additional pass would be fine. The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland sounds like a logical choice for your plans (and note that a discount applies if you have a Swiss Card). You’ll be more flexible that way since it can be used in a larger area. I don’t think you need a Jungfrau Railways Pass as well.

More money saving tips are listed here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2011 at 7:44:07 #834345

Hi,
    I have two questions
    I am in India, and if I buy it online, there are big shipping costs, can I buy it over the counter once I am in Lauterbrunnen?
    Secondly, how much discount will the regional pass for bernese oberland give for Jungfrau.
    Is the discount valid on good morning ticket as well?

Annika
    7103 posts
    26 July 2011 at 9:30:28 #834346

Hello tsk1979. The current 2 for 1 offer for the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is only available online, as far as we know. So you can’t purchase this offer in Lauterbrunnen. Even with the shipping costs involved, this online offer will still be a lot cheaper than buying two regular Regional Passes in Switzerland. In many other cases as well ordering online from India (and many other countries) is cheaper than a local purchase, including shipping costs.

The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland provides free travel up to Kleine Scheidegg (on a free travel day) and a 50% discount between Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfraujoch. You can check the validity by clicking the link ‘Overview of the network on which the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is valid’ at this page.

There are no further discounts for the good morning ticket. This is an already reduced ticket, meant for travelers who don’t hold a rail pass. Just use the discounts of your Regional-Pass: that’s cheaper than the good morning ticket for you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2011 at 14:24:47 #834347

Hi Moderator,
    I am going to purchase the 2 for 1 Berner Oberland 2nd class pass for use in September. The on-line purchase form asks me for a start date. What should I enter as the start date – the date I leave my home country?…the date I arrive in Switzerland?…the date I will begin to use the pass?
    thanking you for a reply,
    Paul

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 August 2011 at 15:30:23 #834348

Hi Paul, you need to enter the date you’ll begin using the pass. Enjoy!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2011 at 12:25:29 #834349

Hello! Our family of 6 will be visiting Grindelwald from September 28 through October 9. We would like to purchase the Bernese Oberland passes for 4 of us. (My youngest are 8 and 10, so we’ll get the Junior Car for them when we get there.) To get the buy one, get one free I can only enter 1 ticket at a time. We will need to buy 2 sets of 2 to cover our stay. (I will buy 2 and get 2 free for the first week and buy 2 and get 2 free for the second week.) May I purchase them all in one transaction to save on shipping costs, or would the same name be on all the passes? Thank you very much for your help,
    Kathy

Annika
    7103 posts
    8 August 2011 at 14:07:52 #834350

Hi Kathy, and welcome! This topic explains how to order the Bernese Oberland Regional-Pass 2 for 1 offer. You can purchase several sets of the offer in one order. Names aren’t printed on the pass, so that won’t be a problem, and you’ll have to pay shipping costs only once.

Just select your country of residence and the right pass variant in the upper right corner of the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland page. Next, click ‘Go to website’. Pick ‘1’ from the drop-down box. Fill out the right start date of the pass, pick 2nd class, select the fare for adults and select the 3/7 day pass. Next, tick the box Apply ‘Buy 1, get 1 free offer?’ that appears. This way you’ll get two passes for the price of one. Click ‘continue’ for an overview of your shopping cart and click ‘add more tickets’ to order other sets of Regional Passes. You’ll get to the home page, where you can select the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland at the right side under the header ‘Regional Passes’. Click ‘book now’ and repeat the procedure as explained above to add the passes you want.

I hope you can order now! Have a great trip.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • The thread ‘Buy 1 Swiss regional pass, and get 1 for free’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.