Can I stop at Eigergletscher station ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 11:15:43 #817314

Hello, i am planning to buy ticket train from Interlaken ost to Jungfraujoch via Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald on september 2018 (CHF 210,8). I learned from Lauterbrunnen/grindelwald This train will change at Kleine Scheidegg to continue to Jungfraugh.

can i stop for a while (around 1 hour) at Eigergletscher Station? And then continue to Jungfraugh, is it include in price CHF 210,8 or not?

thank you so much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    17 July 2018 at 18:36:16 #891653

Hello,

<< can i stop for a while (around 1 hour) at Eigergletscher Station? And then continue to Jungfraugh, is it include in price CHF 210,8 or not? >>

The answer to your query is “YES“, and since the frequency of departures is only 20 minutes, you don’t have to worry much about lost time. The Eigergletscher station is at 2320 metres. Other stations on the way up are the Eigerwand (at 2864 metres) and the Eismeer (3158 metres). The Jungfraujoch station at the top is at 3454 metres. As far as prices and other options are concerned, you might want to look at the following: http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe/

Hudspith
    Participant
    71 posts
    17 July 2018 at 21:02:26 #891654

I may be incorrect but I believe that the Eigerwand viewpoint is no longer used – but I am sure one of our more knowledgable contributors will be a long soon to confirm whether this is true or not.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 22:36:45 #891655

Correct, and construction has started on a direct cableway to Eigergletscher, which will change the way journeys to Jungfraujoch work, and must by definition affect the mountain views of the Eiger from the existing WAB railway

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    17 July 2018 at 23:01:18 #891656

Hello Hudspith,

You are correct about the Eigerwand station no longer being used. This change occurred in December of 2016, when four new train units (Stadler Rail) were put into service. The previous travel time from Kleine Scheidegg to the Jungfraujoch was reduced from 52 minutes to 35 minutes, partly due to the greater speed of the new train units, but also by cutting out the stop at the Eigerwand. This was all done to allow for one more train to run per day, I understand. According to an article I read in the Berner Zeitung, they are looking at how the Eigerwand station could be used for tourist purposes in the future.

A good number of years ago, I took a group of 21 of my students to the Jungfraujoch, and we all piled out of the train at the Eigerwand to peer out those huge windows set into the north face of the Eiger (see attached image). From far down below, these windows are almost imperceptible in that huge rock face. It was chilly there and when we got out at the top they all understood why I had insisted that they bring along their jackets. So my advice to anybody going to the Jungfraujoch is to bring enough clothing to keep warm up there. I might add that the trip was much less expensive back then !

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    17 July 2018 at 23:28:25 #891657

Hi 1960man,

Your comment about the cableway to the Eigergletscher got me digging, and I found this: http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/corporate/v-cableway-project/project/ I hope others will find it interesting as well. This includes a neat video to give us an idea what it will all be like when completed: youtu.be/ueEx8i9ozJQ

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 23:39:23 #891658

So can i stop at eigergletscher station (at 2,3 KM) on the way train from Kleinne to Jungfraugh?

if i pay price for train from kleinne to jungfraugh, is it free hop on and hop off at any station from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraugh? Including eigergletscher station.

i want to visit Eigergletscher restaurant..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 23:41:17 #891659

Sorry, but my question is Eigergletscher station, not Eigerwand station.. 🙂

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    18 July 2018 at 0:38:10 #891660

Hi,

I realize that you are asking about the Eigergletscher station, not the Eigerwand station, which has been closed for about 20 months. You have to understand that on this forum, folks often peel off and write about things that are not directly to do with the original question. In this case, it is my fault, because I did not just say “YES”, but I went on to share other information about the Jungfraujoch experience. So now, here is my one word answer to your original question. It is “YES“. Just make sure you hang on to your ticket !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 5:36:28 #891661

I was in Grindelwald the other day and construction is ramping up for sure on this project. They finally got approval from a few Swiss whose land they were building on I guess.

An early retirement is on their horizon I think!

• The thread ‘Can I stop at Eigergletscher station ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.