Can one do Stanserhorn and Mt Rigi in one day?

• suitcase
    Participant
    70 posts
    16 April 2023 at 22:58:00 #829594

Hello Experts and fellow forum contributors,

Just when I think my itinerary is set for our upcoming trip in the beginning of May, another idea has popped up when reading through threads and such.My original plan was a day trip to Mt Rigi, going by boat to Vitznau from Luzern and then coming down the other side via Arth Goldau, with a side trip to Zug, if time permits.

Now, I am thinking about adding Stanserhorn to the mix. Here are my options

Option 1: Stanserhorn and explore town of Stans (perhaps another suggestion other than Stans, or in addition to Stans)

Option 2: Stanserhorn and Mt Rigi.I was hoping to catch the boat from Vitznau back to Luzern, but last boat is 17:49. Will I be be to do this combination in one day, or will it be a rush?

The route would look like this:

Luzern to Stans by train

Stanserhorn funicular to Kalti and then cable car

Return the same way downto Stans

Stans to Arth Goldau by train

Arth Goldau to Rigi Kulm by cogwheel

Rigi Kulm by cogwheel to Vitznau

Vitznau boat back to Luzern

Would I enter Stans or Stanserhorn to Rigi Kulm on SBB timetable?

Option 3: Mt Rigi and Zug

I also had a day put aside for Mt Pilatus, however, if I split up Stanserhorn and Mt Rigi, I would not be able to go to Mt Pilatus.

Suggestions?

Regards, Louise

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    17 April 2023 at 10:38:05 #953421

Hi Louise,

I think it would be quite a rush to combine trips to Stanserhorn, Rigi and Zug in one day especially if this includes the majestic roundtrip via Vitznau.

Stanserhorn (https://www.myswissalps.com/stanserhorn/gettingthere) + Rigi (https://www.myswissalps.com/rigi/gettingthere) or Zug + Rigi is doable. My personal suggestion: start with the boat trip from Lucerne to Vitznau so you won’t have to worry about missing your boat connection at the end of the day. Once you are done visiting Rigi, take the cogwheel train down to Arth-Goldau and take a connecting train to Stans via Lucerne. The journey from Arth-Goldau to Stans takes about 1 hour. The Stanserhorn valley station is only 5 minutes walk from Stans train station.

Regards,

Anna

suitcase
    Participant
    70 posts
    17 April 2023 at 21:20:22 #953422

Hi Anna,

Oh no, I wasn’t thinking about Stanserhorn, Rigi and Zug on the same day. I think I like you suggesting that I start off via a boat to Vitznau, so that I don’t have to worry about missing the last boat.

Thanks, Louise

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    20 April 2023 at 1:52:37 #953423

Hi Louise,

You can easily take in both Mt Titlis, and the Stanserhorn in the same day. The village of Engelberg (Mt Titlis) is at the end of the line and takes about 45 min to get there from Lucerne. Also a nice village to walk around, in the valley, surrounded by mountains. Stans is on the same line and can be seen on the way back. Stans is smaller than Engelberg and not necessarily a whole lot to explore. Some nice bistros/eateries around. When I was there in 2018, Stanserhorn had later ascents/descents on Fridays during the summer. Below you can see the later opening days/evenings for this year, with the last descents being 11pm.

Thursday evening, June 1 to October 26, 2023

Friday evening, May 5 to October 27, 2023

Saturday evening, May 6 to November 25, 2023

This allows one to see the sun going down from up there, and the Stanserhorn is free with the STP. There’s also a revolving restaurant up there as well.

So by getting an early start you can spend time at Stanserhorn and Titlis, walk around, see the beautiful scenery, the Cliffwalk, Glacier cave and there is also a lake (Trubsee) to walk/hike around on the first station. Lots to see/do there.

Have a great trip wherever you decide to go.

Regards,

Danielsan

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    20 April 2023 at 8:02:03 #953424

Thank you Danielsan for all the helpful information.

suitcase
    Participant
    70 posts
    23 April 2023 at 16:08:26 #953425

Thanks, Danielsan for the tip regarding late ascents and descents. It works out perfectly since we will be in Luzern on the last day May5, to take advantage of the late times. Then we don’t have to rush from our visit at Mt Titlis to Stanserhorn. Here’s hoping to good weather on that day. Will it still be worth while to do both if it was cloudy and or raining?

On another note, I understand that one can get to Mt Titlis by train (to Engelberg) or via boat and train. I suppose the boat/ train route would look like this….Luzern boat to Hergiswil, change at Hergiswil and take train to Stans and then take train to Engelberg. However, I can’t seem to find the cruise route on the Lake Luzern boat timetable.

Would any one recommend this route? Would this route be much longer than the direct train route? I used the SBB to find this route, but had to input each section separately. Hergiswil defaults to Hergiswil NW. Is this correct?

Regards, Louise

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    23 April 2023 at 18:33:02 #953426

Hi Louise,

Weather wise, as long as it’s not a downpour. I think you could still enjoy – if it’s only light drizzle and little cloudy.

You can find the boat timetable at the below link, scroll down to “Information on other websites” at the bottom. It could be that the route Lucerne to Hergiswil (See) is not running yet, when you were researching. To research the boat route, use Hergiswil (See), if the boat is in operation, you will be able to view the boat/ship icon on the left. I just did quick search, it does not start operation till May 18.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

suitcase
    Participant
    70 posts
    23 April 2023 at 19:15:42 #953427

Hello Yolanda,

That makes sense…I will be there on May 5,so I guess I will be taking the train.

Thanks, Louise

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    25 April 2023 at 3:19:35 #953428

Hi Louise,

You should have no problem seeing both Zug and Rigi. Zug is only 15-20 min from Athh-Goldau, depending on which station you choose. (There are 3 or 4 to choose from.) You can even see Zug first if you wanted, and go in the reverse order. There should be enough time with the longer daylight hours now (up to you, of course).

I’m glad you’ll be able to catch one of the days to see Stanserhorn later on in the day. I happened to land in Zurich on a Friday, and after heading to Lucerne, checking in, and walking near and around the Kapellbrücke, I headed down to Stans. The funicular up was very peaceful to the Cabrio double decker cable car. Unfortunately the clouds moved in while up there and I didn’t see the majestic beauty one sees in the photos of it. That’s why I’m still kicking myself for not stopping on my way back from Titlis, because it was an absolutely gorgeous day.

Again, I hope you have a great trip. You should enjoy it.

Regards,

Danielsan

suitcase
    Participant
    70 posts
    26 April 2023 at 20:25:06 #953429

Thanks, Danielsan. So glad that you posted the later evening hrs for Stanserhorn. And yes, we will be taking advantage of a side trip to Zug on our way back from Mt Rigi. At least, we don’t have to rush Stanserhorn and Rigi on the same day.

We are really looking forward to exploring all the mountains.

Regards, Louise

• The thread ‘Can one do Stanserhorn and Mt Rigi in one day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.