Car travel from Basel to Murren, and back to Basel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2015 at 0:57:03 #807821

i was hoping you could advise me on a car route you best enjoy from Basel and then to Interlochen and Murren. We will have the GPS, and hope it will function in the moutains. We arrive in Basel on Tuesday morning and will stay until Thursday. Did we make a mistake of renting a car. There are four in our party.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 August 2015 at 9:44:40 #845717

Hi Angie, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Personally I would not rent a car for this trip. Mürren is car free. You need to put the car in the garage in Lauterbrunnen or the parking place in Stechelberg and go up by cable car. Both parkings are paid. The region itself is also largely inaccessible by cars. The best places are to be reached by cogwheel trains and cable cars. The GPS will work, apart from some tunnels.

I would recommend to use the wonderful train system. It’s safe, comfortable and eco-friendly. You can compare the travel options here:

When will this trip be?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2015 at 22:02:19 #845718

The last week of September. We will be flying into Basel. I was actually a bit confused, lost and not even left my home yet. We are staying at the Hotel in Interlaken, and would leave the car there. We will just be two nights in the area, and then back to Basel to board a river cruise. Our travel agent suggested the car, but as I’m doing my research I’m thinking the trip might be better by rail. Please advise me and thank you so very much.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 August 2015 at 9:22:36 #845719

Hi Angie,

Since you’ll only be staying for two nights you can pack light and leave rest of your luggage in Basel. There’s a left luggage office in the station). Then take one of the direct trains to Interlaken. Is your hotel near the station? If not, you can find alternatives here. A Swiss Half Fare Card may save you money, depending on what exactly you plan to do while there. It allows you to buy all tickets with a 50% discount. I think this is more relaxed and enjoyable than renting a car, trying to find your way and park in Interlaken (most probably paid too).

• The thread ‘Car travel from Basel to Murren, and back to Basel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.