Checking Swiss train timetable and SBB app

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 January 2020 at 10:08:00 #824964

After travelling to Switzerland in 2017 and 2019 I strongly recommend the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) for checking train, bus, boat and cable way timetables, finding fares* and buying tickets on-line if required. In the unlikely event you don’t have a device capable of running the app then you can use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B). If you are not familiar with using the SBB timetable it is worth first reading the instructions at http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

* The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app can also display a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make connections. You can also easily filter modes of transport (eg bus or ship).

The app (or website) will always show the fastest, most direct routes unless you tell it you want to go a longer way round by including other stations to go VIA. For example, if you wanted to follow the Golden Pass route you would need to search the SBB app looking for Luzern to Montreux via Interlaken and Zweisimmen.

If you don’t have Internet access on the move you will generally have WiFi at your hotel. You can look up the equivalent of printed timetables and store them on your phone for use offline. Go to http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/en/list-of-localities.html and search for your start point. For example look for Interlaken. Select that and you will get a list of pages in the timetable referring to trains from and to Interlaken. Page 471 for example covers the Golden Pass Route. You can save that PDF for future reference. See http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/fap_pdf_fields/2020/471.pdf.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2020 at 13:47:59 #928491

Hi Rockoyster, thank you for the useful summary. Ildiko

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 January 2020 at 5:55:17 #928492

I wonder how “with SBB app” made it’s way into the subject? I’m sure I wrote a more generic “Checking Train Timetables” given it covers the app, the SBB website and the “printed” timetables.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 January 2020 at 11:04:41 #928493

Hi Rockoyster,

One of the moderators must have done that. It’s part of our activities to adjust subject lines if there’s a way to make it more specific, or clear, or whatever we think that helps people find the thread more easily (e.g. in the search engine). It’s a service ;-). The subject has a limited length so it can’t include everything unfortunately.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2020 at 18:15:42 #928494

Hello mate(s),

I’ve again changed it into “Checking Swiss train timetable AND SBB app”, hope this covers all the needs! 🙂

Cheers,
    Steph

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 March 2020 at 2:18:05 #928495

I am indebted to you Steph – both for the amendment and for promotion of the thread elsewhere. 🤓

Although I wonder if perhaps the title “Checking Swiss transport timetables” would not more accurately reflect the nature of the post. It was certainly not intended to be constrained to train timetables and I should have thought about that when composing the original title. 😖

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2020 at 10:13:24 #928496

Hi,

I plan to cover my trip using just half pass and booking train on sbb with exact time specified so that I get a discount on them. Do you think it is a good idea?

Also, for the trip to murren, wengen, gimmewald route if I take a single ticket with “specific time” of boarding from lauterbrunnen, can i still hop off and hop on from and to these villages during my route/journey before finally reaching to the last stop?

thanks

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 July 2020 at 10:54:27 #928497

Hi Snhea bajpai, and welcome to MySwissAlps.com! You’re probably referring to Supersaver tickets. They’re valid for specific trains only, and it’s not guaranteed you can find such tickets. The offer varies and usually comes for transfers between major towns. I’d personally prefer to limit the use of such tickets, as they don’t allow you to plan your day flexibly. Regular tickets are valid all day long, so yes, those allow you to hop on and off along the way as much as you like. Please find further information at

If you have further questions, woud you please open a new thread? This one’s about using the SBB timetable, and your questions will be notified more easily if you create a new thread for them. Thanks :-)!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2020 at 8:16:16 #928498

The SBB application is indeed one of the greatest technology and digital innovations here in Switzerland.

I also like the Schweiz Mobile (eng: Switzerland Mobility) application, that allows anyone to go through all the hiking, trail, bikes trails and paths of the country. Everything is there.

Allow me to ask you for your support and contribution to the work that we are doing for the swiss culture.

We are a video production company based in Switzerland and have started a new web series documentary on the Alpines passes trail n°6. It is a 610km trail, 34 stages, going over almost the entire land.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M2_TXaY22c&t=12s

I come here to ask for help and support because I thought that it was a good place and people here seem legitimatelly interested and passioned about our country. With your help, we can preserve and enhance Switzerland’s cultural and natural heritage by bringing it to the world through documentaries.

Thank you in advance, I am wishing everyone a great day !

Adrien

LUNARI

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 July 2020 at 9:51:02 #928499

Hi Adrien and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

Thanks for sharing your great video about the Alpine Passes Trail! If you want, feel free to create a new thread here to bring it to the forum visitors’ attention: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/miscellaneous. Your post will be found much more easily in a separate thread, as it’s not closely related to the original timetable content of this thread. Thanks :-)!

• The thread ‘Checking Swiss train timetable and SBB app’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.