Choose between St Gallen/Zurich for 2 days October

• Khsamuel
    Participant
    14 posts
    29 June 2022 at 8:03:48 #827633

Hello, I will travel to Zurich in mid Oct. My flight arrive at Zurich in the mid day. I plan to visit the Rhine Falls, Chauffhausen, Stein am Rhein and stay in St Gallen for 2 nights.

I have 2 medium luggages. Should I take train the St Gallen, check in then travel back to those places on the same day or the following day. Or stay in Zurich for 1 night then travel to those places before settling in St Gallen? If the latter route is chosen, how do I handle the luggage along the way.

Any suggestions please

khsamuel

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2022 at 8:39:32 #943749

Hi Khsamuel and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

At http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage you’ll find useful information about handling your luggage. Besides that, you can leave your luggage at the bigger train stations, as there are lockers. For example, there are lockers in Schaffhausen: http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/at-the-station/railway-stations/schaffhausen-station.html.

One more thing, I am not sure where are you coming from but in case you are coming from far, you might be tired (or even have jetlag), so staying 1 night in Zurich, or visiting the Rhein Falls from St. Gallen after you could relax a bit, might be also a good solution.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

Khsamuel
    Participant
    14 posts
    29 June 2022 at 10:00:10 #943750

Thanks Ildiko for your prompt attention. Your opinion helps me to streamline my travel plan.

khsamuel

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2022 at 10:48:04 #943751

I recommend you travel straight to St Gallen and base yourself there.

Switzerland is a small country and travel times are short, especially between Zurich and St Gallen, as they are both in North East Switzerland.

On arrival at Zurich airport, just go to the Flughafen railway station and take the first available train to St Gallen. Trains run four times per hour (two fast and two semi-fast). The fastest trains (2 per hour) take just 45 minutes.

From St Gallen, you can get to Rhein falls in about 1hr 20 to 1hr 45. Best route is St Gallen – Winterthur – Schaffhausen (or you can go via Zurich)

St Gallen to Stein am Rhein is a direct local train (no changes) taking 1hr 20 minutes, following the northern edge of Switzerland along the Bodensee (Lake Konstanz)

Khsamuel
    Participant
    14 posts
    29 June 2022 at 13:12:38 #943752

Many thanks 1960man. Will it be good to stay in St Gallen on day 1 to walk around the UNESCO sites and city and spend the whole day 2 for all others?

khsamuel

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2022 at 15:41:22 #943753

Yes, there is plenty to see in St Gallen, in addition to your other planned visits. Don’t forget that St Gallen is the jumping off point for the Appenzell Alps. You could allocate maybe half a day to this in addition to visiting the centre of St Gallen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2022 at 16:09:25 #943754

Here you’ll find many photos and a trip report about St. Gallen, Zurich and Appenzell: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/st-gallen-appenzell-zurich-in-autumn.

You can find hotels in St Gallen here: https://www.hotelscombined.com/Place/Canton_Of_St_Gallen.htm.

Ildiko

Khsamuel
    Participant
    14 posts
    30 June 2022 at 5:27:43 #943755

Thanks 1960man. I probably don’t have enough time to visit Appenzell Alps this time.

• The thread ‘Choose between St Gallen/Zurich for 2 days October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.