Train route options from Chur to Lucerne

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
MarionW
MarionW
6 posts
Jun 16, 2018 - 4:13 PM

I wonder if anyone has any comments regarding the best rail trip from Chur to Lucerne. I know I can travel from Chur via Zurich to Lucerne but, looking at the maps I feel I should be able to travel via Andermatt but I think there is a boat required on the last leg and I am not sure whether that would be a good idea with luggage?

Lucas
Lucas
9868 posts
expert &
Jun 16, 2018 - 4:20 PM in reply to MarionW

Hi Marion,

You don't have to take a boat when traveling via Andermatt - you mean on Lake Luzern? But you can if you want - no worries with luggage I don't think.

Another option would be to travel via St. Gallen and take the Voralpen Express to Luzern.

The timetable can help you plan the trips: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable. and you can read about my trip on the train from St. Gallen here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/st-gallen-voralpen-express-from-zurich

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jun 17, 2018 - 3:32 AM in reply to MarionW

Hi Marion,

>> comments regarding the best rail trip from Chur to Lucerne

If you have enough time, the most scenic route would be part of the Glacier Express route (Chur to Andermatt), followed by part of the Gotthard Panorama route (all trains, or train and boat) from Andermatt to Luzern/Lucerne.

To get this route in the Swiss Timetable (using just trains), put via Andermatt into your timetable search.

If you also want to include the boat, you will need to do separate searches for the Chur-Flüelen via Andermatt sector and the Flüelen-Luzern sector.

For the boat sector, put in Flüelen (See) to Luzern Bahnhofquai. Use advanced search, and limit the transport type to Ship.

Lots of people take luggage on boats. I have taken luggage on the boat from Brienz to Interlaken Ost without any problems. I've always travelled luggage-free on the boat between Luzern and Flüelen, but I seem to recall someone else saying that there was a specific place for luggage on that boat in any case.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Jun 17, 2018 - 8:48 AM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018