Train route options from Chur to Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2018 at 16:13:59 #816680

I wonder if anyone has any comments regarding the best rail trip from Chur to Lucerne. I know I can travel from Chur via Zurich to Lucerne but, looking at the maps I feel I should be able to travel via Andermatt but I think there is a boat required on the last leg and I am not sure whether that would be a good idea with luggage?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2018 at 16:20:19 #888458

Hi Marion,

You don’t have to take a boat when traveling via Andermatt – you mean on Lake Luzern? But you can if you want – no worries with luggage I don’t think.

Another option would be to travel via St. Gallen and take the Voralpen Express to Luzern.

The timetable can help you plan the trips: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable. and you can read about my trip on the train from St. Gallen here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/st-gallen-voralpen-express-from-zurich

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2018 at 3:32:19 #888459

Hi Marion,

>> comments regarding the best rail trip from Chur to Lucerne

If you have enough time, the most scenic route would be part of the Glacier Express route (Chur to Andermatt), followed by part of the Gotthard Panorama route (all trains, or train and boat) from Andermatt to Luzern/Lucerne.

To get this route in the Swiss Timetable (using just trains), put via Andermatt into your timetable search.

If you also want to include the boat, you will need to do separate searches for the Chur-Flüelen via Andermatt sector and the Flüelen-Luzern sector.

For the boat sector, put in Flüelen (See) to Luzern Bahnhofquai. Use advanced search, and limit the transport type to Ship.

Lots of people take luggage on boats. I have taken luggage on the boat from Brienz to Interlaken Ost without any problems. I’ve always travelled luggage-free on the boat between Luzern and Flüelen, but I seem to recall someone else saying that there was a specific place for luggage on that boat in any case.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Train route options from Chur to Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.