Clarification on Swiss Flexi Pass and lockers

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2012 at 10:49:51 #805474

Hi there,

I really did try to read through the topics on the Passes for about 10 pages but didn’t see my topic addressed. Please forgive if this is covered elsewhere!

I understand that on a consecutive Swiss Pass you can hop on and off intraday with unlimited access. Does the Swiss Flexi Pass also allow more than one train ride per day if that day is designated as a free travel day, or are specific connections only counted? (Namely, we are debating whether we can go from Interlaken, stop in Bern for an afternoon, then go on to Zurich and have both train trips covered by the Flexi Pass that day).

If this does work, we’d like to know if there are lockers available in the stations at Montreux, Bern and Lugano. There probably are but I figured it’d be a good idea to check.

Lastly, we would like to take the Golden Pass and Wilhelm Tell Express during our trip. I’ve read on this site about how you must make reservations on these, but I was wondering if you have to pay for the reservations in addition to the cost of the Flexi Pass. If so, how much do they usually run you? Is there a marked difference between the panorama cars and the regular trains (i.e., a different route or significantly worse visibility)?

Thanks so much for being such a great resource to travelers in Switzerland!
    Renee

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 July 2012 at 10:23:50 #836715

Welcome to the forum Renee. I’m glad to hear that the forum has been helpful so far, and of course you’re welcome to post your questions here. As for the Swiss Flexi Pass: on free travel days you can travel wherever you want during the entire day, making several trips if you like. So Interlaken-Bern-Zurich is no problem.

Seat reservations for panoramic trains have to be paid for on top of rail passes. So you’ll still pay a (rather small) fee even on free travel days of a Swiss (Flexi) Pass. Most trips can also be made not by panoramic trains, but by regional trains (and, in case of the Wilhelm Tell Express, boats). There are differences: regular trains don’t have scenic windows and less services, such as explanation along the way and catering services. You may also have to change trains more often. Both types can be found in the timetable. Just enter your departure and destination stations and an (estimated) travel date and time to see which connections are available.

Yess, all major train stations provide lockers. Here's how to check their availabilty, sizes and costs.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2012 at 10:36:28 #836716

Thanks so much Arno, this was really helpful!

• The thread ‘Clarification on Swiss Flexi Pass and lockers’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.