Confused between options

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2012 at 12:00:47 #805261

Hi,
    I am planning a trip to Switzerland, for 5 days in July, for my honeymoon. I am confused between taking a package trip from India or making my own trip. I would like to know if it’s possible to plan a trip for 2 people (apart from international travel) in 1200 CHF? If yes, please help me with how I could go about the same. Currently, when I search for options, it goes way above this.

Thanks in advance,
    Ashwin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 May 2012 at 16:29:24 #836107

Hi Ashwin, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

A package that includes everything for CHF 1200 may be hard to find. This Swiss Mountain Peaks package costs about CHF 1200, but that excludes diner. You can get a discount on that by the way. If you book your own trip, it should be possible for that amount, but you should limit your traveling or look for really cheap lodging. I would say that you book an hotel in one central place such as Luzern or Interlaken, and do short day trips from there with a Swiss Card or Swiss Half fare Card. And there are many more ways to save money.

Have a beautiful honeymoon!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2012 at 11:51:10 #836108

Thank you Arno 🙂 for sharing this valuable information with me.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2012 at 14:18:47 #836109

Hi Arno,
    I have shortlisted the tour as detailed in http://www.makemytrip.com/holidays-international/package?id=541&selectedResultPage=1&selectedResultIndex=10

But as part of this package description, it says, they provide a 5 day Swiss transfer card, and they also specify “After arriving at x station transfer to the hotel on your own”. I think the reason for this is because the transfer card is only for travel between rail stations. If this is the case, are there any bus only passes for local travel available? Or is there any other better option?

Thanks,
    Ashwin

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 May 2012 at 16:53:34 #836110

Hi Ashwin,

The trips are quite similar I guess. The 3-night trip through the link I provided can be extended with a night (or more nights) and then it adds up to the same amount as the 5-night trip you linked to. It’s one night less but you’ll be able to get the extra discount I explained about, and you get 50% discounts on trips that are not in the package. I don’t see that mentioned for the package you linked to. So it’s a matter of number of nights versus budget I think.

Many hotels do provide a free local “guest card” that includes free traveling in a small region around the hotel. Most towns have local passes as well such as the Zurich Card, but you would have to buy them. It’s worth the money if you don’t get a discount otherwise and do quite some traveling.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2012 at 4:38:56 #836111

hi ashwin,
    1200 chf is a bit low,as things are very expensive here.but you can still plan it.if you can eat european stuff,then it is fine.if not,then indian restraunts are very expensive.then for food you better keep “ready to eat” packs from ITC,MTR,etc which you can carry with you n you may have to keep a 1 litre tea kettle to boil water to heat the food.you may go for the swiss pass from India itself as if you buy it from switzerland it will be expensive.you can go for the 2 in 1 scheme as you get a free ticket for your would be when you buy one ticket.
    you can stay at the International Youth Hostels in Switzerland as these are very nice rooms for couples n it will be substantially cheaper tan hotels.you have a brand new hostel at Interlaken OST next to the station n 2 mins walk from the station.you should take a membership from the IYH in India from Delhi as it is valid globally.If you take it here in Switzerland,it will cost you a bomb.
    you can stay put there in the hostel with a base in Interlaken you can go around Interlaken n then to Jungfrau peak and back.similarly with a base at lucerne,you can do titlis too via engelberg.start early for both the trips.
    and avoid taxis ,it can be very expensive.with the swiss pass,local travel is mostly free so you can use the excellent swiss public trasport.
    good luck.
    regards
    nand
    00 91 9329009399

[quote]ashwin said: Hi,
    I am planning a trip to Switzerland, for 5 days in July, for my honeymoon. I am confused between taking a package trip from India or making my own trip. I would like to know if it’s possible to plan a trip for 2 people (apart from international travel) in 1200 CHF? If yes, please help me with how I could go about the same. Currently, when I search for options, it goes way above this.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ashwin[/quote]

• The thread ‘Confused between options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.