Day trips to Switzerland from base in Germany

• Musharrif
    Participant
    2 posts
    28 June 2022 at 13:47:46 #827625

Hi there

We are 6 family members, 2 adults and 4 kids ages 11, 9, 6 and 2. We will be coming from Copenhagen by our own car in mid July and will be going to stay most probably in Albstadt, Germany which is about about 1 hour away by car from the Switzerland’s border. Our plan is to visit different places in Switzerland for 3 days by planning a one day for each 3 days. e.g.:

1st day plan: From Albstadt, Germany to Lausanne, Switzerland by car which could be around 4 hours and 30 minutes drive on one side. And then we will travel back to Albstadt, Germany. About 9 hours of driving.

2nd day plan: From Albstadt, Germany to Grindelwald, Switzerland which could be around 4 hours and 30 minutes drive on one side. And then we will travel back to Albstadt, Germany. About 9 hours of driving.

3rd day plan: From Albstadt, Germany to Lucerne, Switzerland which could be around 3 hours drive on one side. Take the Lucerne cable car trip and then we will travel back to Albstadt, Germany through Zürich, Switzerland. About 6 hours of driving.

Is this a feasible plan travelling and driving so much? Or should I buy a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass for my family? If I should buy Swiss Travel Pass, then how much will it cost for my family? And is it possible to take a train on Swiss-German border? How long a train could take e.g. from Zürich, Switzerland to Lausanne, Switzerland?

Best, Musharrif

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    28 June 2022 at 14:24:22 #943714

Hi Musharrif,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining MySwissAlps.

I personally think 6-9 hours of driving everyday for 3 days very exhausting especially in summer. It’s great that you are thinking about getting the Swiss Travel Pass and travelling with the train instead. I think this is a more feasible plan. You can find useful information about driving vs taking the train here: http://www.myswissalps.com/carversustrain

A 3-day Swiss Travel Pass cost CHF232 (depending on the reseller). Children under 5 travel free on public transport and those aged 6 to 15 travel along free with the Swiss Family Card (which is given complimentary when you purchase a Swiss Travel Pass). So you only need 2 adult Swiss Travel Pass (STP).

My suggestion is to drive to Konstanz (the closest German town at the border) then take the train from the Konstanz train station. The STP is valid from Konstanz to anywhere in Switzerland. Alternatively, you can start your travel from Schaffhausen, which is also close to the border. The SBB timetable is a useful tool for planning your trips. Just enter your location and destination and it will show you which train to take, what time and how long the journey will take.

Options to purchase the Swiss Travel Pass online here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price

Hope this gives you more options for your trip.

Regards,

Anna

Musharrif
    Participant
    2 posts
    28 June 2022 at 19:02:13 #943715

Hi Anna

Thanks a lot for your response. This is pretty useful. I have now following further questions:

1. Is parking free close to Konstanz train station?

2. Is parking free close to Schaffhausen train station?

3. Do I have to buy Swiss motorway vignette if I take the train from Schaffhausen train station?

4. If I buy 3-day STP, can I use ferries, cogwheel trains and cable cars in Lucerne, Grindelwald etc? Or can I get any discount on cogwheel trains and cable cars?

5. If I use my own car in the whole journey, can I reach closer to Lucerne lake, Alps in Grindelwald, Lausanne lake etc.? Or do I have to take public transport anyway?

6. If I take trains to reach at above mentioned places, can I use public transport for free to reach Lucerne and Lausanne lakes and Alps in Grindelwald?

Best, Musharrif

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2022 at 22:28:44 #943716

I absolutely do not recommend such long day trips – even by train. Albstadt is quite a long way inside Germany in practical terms and is not a good base for day trips into Switzerland. Albstadt to Lausanne is in particular is far too far for a day trip by car.

My suggestion would be to completely rethink your plan. If you want to visit Switzerland, you would be better off staying within Switzerland. If you want to visit the Swabia area of Germany and Switzerland in the same holiday, I would base yourself on the Swiss border, staying on the German side if that is what you prefer to do.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2022 at 16:55:35 #943717

Hi Musharrif,

1. No, it is not free. Sorry, cannot provide a link.

2. No, it is not free. http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/bike-car/car-parking/park-and-rail.html

3. If you are using any part of the Swiss highway, you should have to have a valid motorway vignette: http://www.myswissalps.com/motorwayvignette.

4. With the Swiss Travel Pass you can get a discount on mountain transport and from city to city busses, trains, and boats are for free. For the details please visit this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity. Make sure to browse the list AND download the map.

5. Yes, you can travel close to the lakes (Lake Lucerne and Lake Geneva). For the mountain summits in the Jungfrau region you have to use the public transport system.

6. The lakes yes, for the details of the mountain transport please visit the link above (the one about the validity of the Swiss Travel Pass).

Take care,

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Day trips to Switzerland from base in Germany’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.