Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2020 at 23:58:35 #932787

Is US Travelers allow to visit Switzerland?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2020 at 3:46:57 #932788

Hello Pvish,

Currently there is no information regarding tourists from outside the Schengen area. Hopefully a decision will be taken soon.

Keep checking the first post of this thread, as it is always updated with the newest information.

Hope things develop in your favour.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2020 at 17:21:20 #932789

Thank you for continuing to update this thread! We really appreciate it. We have flights scheduled for the end of August from California and are crossing our fingers.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2020 at 18:25:23 #932790

Crossing fingers for all travellers!!!! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2020 at 18:52:35 #932791

Thanks for posting updates.

we have planned mid July. Let see

please keep posted

IrishVal
    Participant
    6 posts
    10 June 2020 at 10:54:30 #932792

Yes thank you. Waiting to see will we travel July 30 th 🤞🏻

WTandBeyond
    Participant
    31 posts
    10 June 2020 at 14:22:10 #932793

If the borders are open to the Schengen area but closed to travelers from the US, does this mean that anyone traveling on a US passport will be turned away at the border, even if their trip originated in a Schengen country? Iceland is planning on allowing visitors from the US from June 15th onwards. So can I first fly to Iceland, enter the EU there, then fly on to Switzerland? Or will I be prevented from traveling on to Switzerland because I will be traveling on a US passport?

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    10 June 2020 at 17:51:32 #932794

Interesting question. I have been wondering about the same thing. We are to arrive into Amsterdam on the 1st of July. From what I have read, that will be permitted after the 15th of June. We are then scheduled to take a flight to Zurich. Since we will enter the Schengen when we pass through passport control in Amsterdam, will our continuation to Zurich be an issue….

Janice3401
    Participant
    29 posts
    10 June 2020 at 19:02:08 #932795

My understanding is that at this point only residents of EU and Schengen countries will be allowed to enter the Netherlands starting 15 June. If you are an American, you will not be allowed to enter. I find it highly unlikely that a person with a US passport will be able to enter Switzerland via an EU or Schengen country (eg Iceland) until US passport holders are explicitly allowed to enter. Of course, this could all change by July 1.

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    10 June 2020 at 20:26:20 #932797

Thank you for the reply…as I said it is confusing…Maybe it will become clearer on June the 15th.

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    10 June 2020 at 20:39:40 #932798

it will become clearer every day.

Even though I would love to start hosting international non EU/EFT guests again, I read ist as no entry for tourists outside EU/EFTA for the time being.

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    10 June 2020 at 20:57:21 #932799

Not to be a pessimist; just trying to be realistic because I really want to return to Switzerland. But in the US, even the state of Hawaii, which is heavily tourism dependent, is not allowing any visitors, without a two week quarantine, until July 1. And then qualifying that by stating that that date could be pushed forward depending upon the transmission level.

My thoughts are that we are in the midst of a massive international experiment, and that it is simply too early to predict possibilities of international travel, at least for the rest of 2020. By the beginning of 2021, we will all be considerably more informed of what activities engender what risks, than we now are.

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    10 June 2020 at 22:04:17 #932800

I think ( un informed guess ) lots will depend on what happens after the 15th. Like many others, we made plans starting over two years ago. It started with the Passion Play in Oberammergau. We planed a two week driving tour around Switzerland. The play was canceled. We moved the driving tour back a month. Flights and rental car are prepaid. So it’s not if we will go, it’s when. We continue to be optimistic.

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    11 June 2020 at 11:11:40 #932801

I too want so badly to return to Switzerland, for more glorious hiking!! I of course cancelled my June 2020 trip. I agree that realistically, no plans can be made for 2020. We will obviously all be closely watching the arrival of vaccins, but there will be many uncertainties at first (insufficient testing, etc.). I am wondering what the travel possibilities will be for someone who tested positive for CoVid. As we know, most travel insurance plans now do not cover CoVid. However, if one has had it, then would one be comfortable travelling…? I suppose this depends a bit on the accuracy of positive testing, which is also still in development. Anyways, these are just thoughts that spin around my head…. as my heart aches for those Swiss mountains….!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2020 at 18:17:11 #932802

Hi there,

things are very uncertain these days. Hopefully we will know more soon, we are expecting an announcement on 15 June regarding the entry opportunities from outside the Schengen zone.

I suggest following the first post in this thread, as soon as things get announced we’ll update it.

Crossed fingers to everybody! 🙂

Ildiko

More information on travel planning during the coronavirus situation can be found at http://www.myswissalps.com/coronavirus/planning.

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    13 June 2020 at 15:21:38 #932803

Like so many, I am following several sites concerning our tentative plans for this summer. Since our flight would go through Amsterdam and that is where we would enter the Schengen region, I found this on the Netherlands site “http://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/travel-and-residence/visas-for-the-netherlands/qas-travel-restrictions-for-the-netherlands”…..”EU proposal of an entry ban for non-essential travel is extended until 30 June 2020″. I know I was hoping to see further positive indications on the 15th of June. It reminds me of many times I was traveling for business and would be waiting at the airport gate. There would be a delay…then it would just be a sliding delay with finally cancelling the flight.

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    13 June 2020 at 15:50:09 #932804

Yes, I think travel by Americans will continue to be pushed back.

I found this article, which appears to be up to date, providing travel status for all the European countries, to be very useful:

http://www.euronews.com/2020/06/12/which-european-countries-have-opened-their-borders-ahead-of-the-summer-holiday-season

Contact
    Participant
    1 post
    18 June 2020 at 6:58:16 #932805

Hello all,

how about travelling by own car in Switzerland? Is it allowed to travel with 4 persons from 2 families in 1 car?

Thank you for answering.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2020 at 11:23:27 #932806

Hi Contact and welcome to MySwissAlps! 🙂

Yes, it is allowed to travel with your car, even if 2 families are using one car. The max 5 people can meet limit is already cancelled.

You’ll find great car trip ideas here: http://www.myswissalps.com/activities/scenictrips/car, like this one: http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/sampleitineraries/passroadsdrivingtour or this one: http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/sampleitineraries/allseasondrivingtour

About the driving in the mountains please read this: http://www.myswissalps.com/car/drivinginthemountains.

Safe trip! 🙂

Ildiko

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.