Dog travel in Jungfrau Region (trains, cable cars)

• RobG
    Participant
    8 posts
    24 August 2021 at 19:19:19 #826051

Hi everyone,

I’m thinking of finally getting back to the Bernese Oberland next Summer…but we have a dog now!

We’ve always got the 5+ day Jungfrau Travel Pass as a family with 2 kids ages 5-9, and just winged it around the region from trains to cable cars to hiking etc., but I just wanted to check if it would be (almost!) as easy to do this again with our dog?

From what I can see, the only cost incurred would be buying a half fare ticket for any train journeys that we make…and that the dog would be free on cable cars, gondolas, Harder Kulm & Schynige Platte etc.?

Has anyone done this?

Is it easy to get tickets for train journeys?

Did it make sense to buy individual tickets or a dog Day Card?

Thanks in advance

Rob

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2021 at 7:33:54 #936294

Hi Rob,

great that you have a dog now! Yes, it is easy to travel with your dog in the Jungfrau region.

If you have a smaller one (less than 30 cm – up to their shoulder blades) it can travel for free in a transportation box, basket or other suitable container.

If it is bigger than that, you can either buy a 2nd class half fare ticket for it, or a Day Card for dogs. Have a look at http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/dogs. In the “Information on other websites” box on the right you’ll find also the external link to SBB. It depends on your itinerary which one is a better solution for you. If you travel a lot then the Dog Day Pass is better, it also gives you more freedom and is easier to use as no other tickets are required.

And finally I think these older threads will be useful for you too: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/30-days-in-switzerland-with-my-dog and http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/3-weeks-with-dog.

Take care,

Ildiko

RobG
    Participant
    8 posts
    27 August 2021 at 13:36:32 #936295

Thank you!

I assume that Dog Passes and half-fare cards can be just bought from ticket machines?

I’ve also seen this on the Jungfrau website:

Dogs can be transported free of charge on the following routes:

Interlaken Ost – Lauterbrunnen

Interlaken Ost – Grindelwald

Interlaken – Harder Kulm

Wilderswil – Schynige Platte

Lauterbrunnen – Mürren

Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald

Grindelwald – First

On the Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch & Eiger Glacier route, you pay CHF 35 for a dog for the return trip.

I’m just trying to work out if this is for our furry friends below 30cm high?

If not, this suggests that we might get away without having to get tickets…?

Thanks again

Rob

Anna
    6384 posts
    27 August 2021 at 18:01:21 #936296

Hi Rob,

From past experience, the regular train from Interlaken Ost to Kleine Scheidegg (all the routes you listed above) is free for all dogs. But if you wish to travel further from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch it is CHF35 return for your canine friend. You can buy the ticket at any train station.

Regards,

Anna

RobG
    Participant
    8 posts
    28 August 2021 at 12:38:42 #936297

That’s great – thanks!

Jungfrau.ch have also just replied to confirm this…which is great.

Thanks everyone

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    28 August 2021 at 22:15:06 #936298

We recently returned from 3 weeks in Switzerland including the Bernese Oberland (we stayed at fantastic and pet friendly Arenas Resort in Wengen) and we also brought our dog. He’s small, 7 lbs, I don’t know how big in cm, and he traveled for free on all public transportation and BTW he was never checked by a SBB agent. We had a dog backpack that we brought everywhere and was easy for him to ride in on the trains etc too.

RobG
    Participant
    8 posts
    30 August 2021 at 14:39:17 #936299

Thanks so much for that – it’s great to hear from people that have done what we’re planning on doing.

Cheers -and thanks to everyone that’s contributed to this thread…I’m off to book now!

Rob

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    30 August 2021 at 19:58:17 #936300

Question for those that do vacations with dogs / pets. And this is coming from someone who had a dog for 16 years and when she died it was VERY painful. So I do get the people / dog relationship thing.

That being said, why do you travel with your pet? Isn’t a kind of a pain to do that? Having to make special accommodations whether it be traveling or places to stay? And feeding? And potty breaks? Etc.

Very curious.

Have a great trip!

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    30 August 2021 at 21:04:11 #936301

I guess the easiest way to say it is it brings us joy to have him with us and we love that he shares our sense of adventure. He was a rescue and we love giving him a great life. We also meet the locals much more with Teddie with us because everyone wants to come meet him! We especially meet a lot of kids which as a teacher I love and they are very patient when I practice French with them while they play with Teddie.

RobG
    Participant
    8 posts
    31 August 2021 at 10:17:52 #936302

It’s a fair question! I’m VERY new to the whole dog thing…but have done holidays with long drives for years with 2 kids, so am used to stops here and there.

We’ve just spent a fortnight in the Yorks Dales with our dog and I can’t imagine going to the Alps without her being there to enjoy the hikes with us after seeing her enjoy the outdoors in the Dales so much. I have all fingers crossed that, as Switzerland seems to be SO dog-friendly, things will not be too different than they were in previous non-dog trips!

That said, booking holidays and packing the car is certainly different these days…

• The thread ‘Dog travel in Jungfrau Region (trains, cable cars)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.