Driving from Interlaken to Täsch: car train only?

• Shazia154
    Participant
    12 posts
    15 January 2023 at 6:01:23 #828890

Hi,

I would like to confirm can I drive from Interlaken to Tasch via road only?

This is because some of the blogs I have read mentioned that travelling by car from Interlaken to Tasch will have to board the car train.

I would like to know if its possible to drive by road all the way to Tasch.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Swiss_Sights
    Participant
    100 posts
    15 January 2023 at 10:35:44 #949691

Do you mean Täsch near Zermatt? If so, it is quite possible to get there via the Grimsel Pass. I would also prefer such a trip, as it is also very scenic.

Have a great trip!

Martin

ioana
    Participant
    81 posts
    15 January 2023 at 17:31:53 #949692

But do check that Grimsel Pass is open when you are visiting. It usually opens at the end of May/beginning of June and closes at the end of October/beginning of November.

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    15 January 2023 at 19:32:09 #949693

Hi Shazia154,

Yes, you can indeed drive from Interlaken to Täsch by car, there are two options:

1. Via Lötschberg, this will involve taking the car train: https://www.myswissalps.com/car/cartrains

2. Via the Grimsel Pass, this will not involve the car train : https://www.myswissalps.com/car/drivinginthemountains

I hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Yolanda

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2023 at 22:56:24 #949694

The ‘car train’ you mention is the Lotscherg tunnel car carrying train that has operated for many years and is the normal direct route from Spiez (and therefore Interlaken) . It is not a problem to use – what is it you are worried about?

Using it is simple, you just drive up, buy a ticket at the booth and drive on to the next available train. It is in fact great fun.

Shazia154
    Participant
    12 posts
    21 January 2023 at 2:29:42 #949695

Hi,

Thanks for the advise. I have checked and Grimsel Pass is closed until May.

Shazia154
    Participant
    12 posts
    21 January 2023 at 2:31:36 #949696

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

It is clear now.

And I have checked Grimsel Pass is closed at the moment so my only option is using Lotschberg car train then.

Shazia154
    Participant
    12 posts
    21 January 2023 at 4:44:58 #949697

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

I am quite worried as it is my first time to Switzerland.

So from my research, I’ve found out the route is as below:

driving from Interlaken-Kandersteg

From Kandersteg to Goppenstain via car train

Driving from Goppenstain to Tasch.

Is it correct? Tq

Anna
    6384 posts
    21 January 2023 at 8:50:29 #949698

Hi Shazia154,

Yes, that’s right. You drive to Kandersteg towards the BLS Car Train Kandersteg – Goppenstein, buy a ticket from the counter and drive onto the train when requested. The journey takes less than 20 mins.

There is a video explaining this if you are unsure: http://www.bls.ch/en/fahren/autoverlad/verladehinweise

For more information about travelling on car trains: http://www.myswissalps.com/car/cartrains

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2023 at 1:03:40 #949699

Yes, that is correct. There is no main road beyond Kandersteg – so you cannot miss the car carrying train terminal – just follow everybody else. The Grimsel Pass is a high altitude pass only open in summer. The normal route for the journey you are doing is as explained previously

Swiss_Sights
    Participant
    100 posts
    22 January 2023 at 11:03:23 #949700

Apart from the Grimsel Pass, there is also a variant via Saanen and the Col de Mosses. This pass is much less high than the Grimsel and should be open in May. It is also possible to drive via Montreux and then to Matigny and then up the Valais to Täsch. However, both options are quite long detours and take much more time than the car transport via Kandersteg.

Have a great trip

Martin

• The thread ‘Driving from Interlaken to Täsch: car train only?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.