Eurail Global Pass or Swiss rail pass?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
dmorgan02
dmorgan02
1 post
Apr 23, 2016 - 6:23 PM

My wife and I will be travelling in Europe for 3 weeks in August 2016. The last 5 days we will be staying in Lauterbrunnen for 4 nights and enjoying the scenery, hiking over to Murren and possibly the Schilthorn. I had planned to purchase a Eurail Global Pass, but am not clear if the Eurail pass covers the train trip from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen or other Gondola trips. We may take a few day trips to Interlaken or other small towns using Lauterbrunnen as a base, and finally will travel to Lausanne for 1 day before flying out from Geneva. I am looking for advice on which pass to get - use Global for full trip, or Global for first 15 days and then purchase a separate Swiss Pass (and which one as there are a lot) for the last 5 days.

Thanks for your assistance or advice!

Annika
Annika
5005 posts
expert &
Apr 24, 2016 - 12:56 PM in reply to dmorgan02

Hi dmorgan02, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Eurail passes don't provide good coverage for the Jungrau region unfortunately. Trips south of Interlaken are mostly discounted by 25%, which isn't that much. You can check such details by studying the validity overview at our Eurail Global Pass page: www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass/validit y.

It's hard to tell whether the Eurail Global Pass would be a good choice in your case, as that depends on your plans for other countries. But if you decide to get one, I think a Jungfrau Travel Pass (www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass) or Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland (www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and) would be a good addition for your days in Murren. Here's how to calculate which pass or pass combination suits your plans best: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019