Eurail Pass or Swiss Travel Pass for 5 countries?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2017 at 16:38:10 #811845

Hi, I am having trouble deciding which pass I should take for my itinerary which involves 5 countries. Have posted my itinerary below, any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Day 1: Zurich Airport to Lucerne train – stay in Lucerne

Day 2: Lucerne and Mt Titlis – Visit Cheese factory at Engleberg and return to Lucerne

Day 3: Lucerne to Interlaken via Golden rail and upto Jungfrau and back to Lucerne (i know its going to be a long day!)

Day 4: Lucerne to Zurich airport. Stay near airport. Visit Rhine Falls. See Zurich.

Day 5: Fly from Zurich to Paris. No trains! Paris internal transport

Day 6/7: Paris internal transport

Day 8: Paris to Amsterdam by train. Amsterdam internal trams and buses.

Day 9: Amsterdam

Day 10: Amsterdam to Brussels by train. Internal brussels transport

Day 11: Brussels internal transport

Day 12: Brussels to Frankfurt by train. Frankfurt internal transport.

End.!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 May 2017 at 18:50:08 #863416

Hi Neethi,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! If you are planning to buy a Eurail Global Pass, it will work for your 5 days in Switzerland too. Even though discounts will be slightly better with a Swiss Travel Pass, I don’t think it’s worth it to buy two different passes.

But there’s another option which might be cheaper: buy a Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card for Switzerland, and buy point to point tickets for the other trips. Transport within cities is not included in Eurail passes anyway, so you need tickets or city passes for that anyway. You will need to do the math if you want to be sure what’s your best option.

One more suggestion is to skip Zurich and the Rhine Falls (nice but not a must do if you only have 4-5 days). Stay in Lucerne for one more day and enjoy that area some more. To reach Paris, better not fly. That takes too much time for such a short distance. Trains are quicker, more comfortable and much more eco-friendly. Please see myswissalps.com/traint ickets/france. You can take a train from Lucerne to Basel and switch to the high speed train for Paris there.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2017 at 6:56:44 #863417

Thank You! yes, I think buying point to point tickets and one of the swiss travel passes is a better option too. Thank you for your suggestion. This really helps.

Thanks,

Neethi

• The thread ‘Eurail Pass or Swiss Travel Pass for 5 countries?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.