Swiss Family Card and travel to Italy

• DJ_Fu
    Participant
    2 posts
    9 July 2018 at 2:38:49 #817165

Good evening,

First of all, I have found this site to be very informative related to all things Switzerland. I’ve lurked on here for the past three months as I planned our trip to Switzerland which begins in two weeks. Many thanks to all who provide such great info for travel novices like me. Most of my research on this site has been around the rail travel. The Swiss rail system is noted for its efficiency but buying passes and booking tickets has thoroughly confused me.

Anyway, our family of five will be traveling to Switzerland in two weeks. A few months ago, after a detailed spreadsheet analysis (including using the one downloaded from this site) and many reads of internet message boards, I decided to buy Half Fare Cards for the 2 adults and 2 teens along with a Family Card for my 12-year-old.

First of all, just looking at the Family Card again, I noticed that it has my name at the top right of the print at home ticket and my 12 year old listed in the details below under “Additional Passengers”. Did I mess this up? If I did, how hard is it to get that corrected upon arrival? The card was free with my Half Card so I am hoping it isn’t too costly.

My main question is related to our travel from Lucern to Venice. My understanding is the only way to book this and utilize the Family Card is to book 4 tickets (with 12-year-old traveling on Family Card with no need for a ticket) from Lucern to Chiasso on SBB and then 5 tickets from Chiasso to Venice on the Italian site. Same train…no need to do anything in Chiasso but sit there and carry on to Milan for connection to Venice. At least this is what I think I should do. I don’t see any other way to book a single transaction and utilize the “free” travel within Switzerland for the 12-year-old on the Family Card. The SBB site lets me price the whole trip out for five paying passengers and allocated a price of $18 for the 12-year old’s Swiss portion so that isn’t the end of the world. But the SBB site doesn’t have the low fares for the Italian portion either.

I’d appreciate any feedback or confirmation. Again, thanks to all regular posters and moderators of this board. You have been a huge help in figuring out the Swiss rail system.

And for what it is worth, the SBB mobile app is so easy to use. The website however is tougher.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 19:22:42 #890799

Hi DJ Fu and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Thanks for the nice feedback – glad you are finding the website useful!

No, I don’t believe you have messed anything up with the Swiss Family Card. You (or a parent with the Swiss Half Fare Card) must be traveling with your 12 year old for them to travel free.

So if it has both your names on it that is ok – you need to be there when the card is checked.

As for Italy, you have it right I think as well. It isn’t terribly straight forward nor simple with international tickets and the Swiss Half Fare Card. 🙂

Essentially buying separate tickets is the most economical way to go as you note. You can buy the Swiss ticket portion online here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets/swi tzerlandhalffare or when in country (4 tickets).

Tickets to Italy are cheaper when bought ahead online: https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets/ita ly and you’ll need 5 tickets here from Chiasso.

DJ_Fu
    Participant
    2 posts
    10 July 2018 at 1:43:15 #890800

Wonderful. Thanks Lucas for the help.

• The thread ‘Swiss Family Card and travel to Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.