Female solo traveler 3 days Lake Geneva in March

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2019 at 4:06:40 #819934

Hi!

I will be flying into Geneva the start of the third week of March and will have 3 full days. I will be a female travelling solo and would prefer to explore/stay in some of the smaller towns around the area. I have looked at Lausanne/Lavaux Vineyards, Gruyere, Montreux, Annecy, and Chamonix. I don’t know what is feasible for three days and what is going to be the most scenic in March.

I land in Geneva at 9pm and was planning to catch a train to Lausanne from there and spending the night so I can start the next morning from there. However, I don’t know where to go next. Is it feasible to do Montreux, Gruyere and then finish the day with a walk around the vineyards or is that too much for one day? Will I find better scenery at this time of year at the higher altitudes with snow? I was thinking that Annecy and Chamonix each deserved their own full day? Or at least a day and a half?

If any can help me plan the best way to spend the three days I would really appreciate it. I just keep going in circles! I am hoping to walk around and explore villages, I enjoy taking photographs, and love trying new and delicious food.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 February 2019 at 8:57:57 #904227

Hi Msb26, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Personally I’d go straight to Vevey or Montreux and do day trips to Lausanne, Gruyères and Rochers-de-Naye from there (for example, there is more to see). Lausanne if more city-like, so not the best place to stay if you’re more interested in smaller towns, but a city walk would be nice. Here are some like to start exploring:

The French side of the lake is unknown territory to me and outside of the scope of MySwissAlps unfortunately. Perhaps someone else can share a few comments about that. With 3 days you won’t run out of options on the Swiss side.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    15 February 2019 at 15:58:38 #904228

Hi msb26

If you are not skiing you could skip Chamonix. Or have enough time to go to Aiguille du Midi or Brévent or Montenvers and enjoy the alpine view. The town of Chamonix itself is not so interesting.

Annecy, on the other hand, is a lovely city that could catch your eye as a photographer. With its canals, some call it the Venice of the Alps. From Geneva, you reach Annecy by bus from the Gare Routière near the main railway station.

You could also consider going to Nyon and from there cross the lake on a steamer to Yvoire, a lovely town on the French side.

And why not spending some time in Geneva?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2019 at 17:00:40 #904229

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like heading straight to Montreux from the airport might be a better option. If I don’t arrive until near midnight in Montreux will I have any issues getting to or checking into a hotel? (any recommendations?)

My thought for going to Chamonix was to use it as a base to get the snowy Mountain View’s/experience with Mont Blanc or the Aiguille du Midi cable car. How much time would something like this take? Is Glacier3000 on the Swiss side a better option?

I am very excited to visit Annecy, I think that is a must and I think I will want to spend a full day there.

Sorry for all the questions, all the choices are a little overwhelming!

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    15 February 2019 at 17:49:33 #904230

Many Montreux hotels have a 24/24 check-in desk.

Train ride from Montreux to Chamonix-Aiguille du Midi lasts 2 hrs 5 min. The cable car should get you to the top in 15 min or so. From the Aiguille du Midi you see Mt Blanc, plenty of other peaks, and the Mer de Glace. If the weather allows it of course. No need to book the train in advance. Glacier 3000 is closer (from Montreux, I think).

jrecm
    Participant
    14 posts
    15 February 2019 at 22:32:17 #904231

Hi MSB26

Last September we spent 5 nights in Geneva. We went to both Annecy and Yvoire. We by far much preferred Yvoire a medieval village on the shore of Lake Geneva, classified among the Most Beautiful Villages in France with ramparts, fortified gates, harbor, castle, hikes, and wonderful food.Loved it and spent the whole day there

Annecy is a rather large town with the only the old town worth a couple of hours though . Even the tours, apparently, are just 1/2 day but You will like whatever you choose to do.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2019 at 1:49:27 #904232

After doing some more research I am wondering if it might be easier to just stay in Montreux for the entire visit. I would be disappointed to not visit Annecy but it doesn’t seem to make sense logistically or time wise.

Based in Montreux would it be possible to head to Zermat for a day? If I don’t need to buy tickets ahead of I time I could make the trip on any of the three days that the weather would be the best.

With the other two days I could spend time in Montreux and Chillon, make the trip to Gruyere and Broc, and check out the “sticky” vineyards?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2019 at 1:58:51 #904233

Or would a day trip to Chamonix still be a better choice over Zermatt?

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    18 February 2019 at 7:28:19 #904234

Yes, you can go to Zermatt for one day from Montreux. To find railway timetables, navigate from “HOW TO TRAVEL” on top of your screen.

Chamonix better or not? It all depends on the weather, but you can decided at last minute.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2019 at 9:45:32 #904235

Hello msb26,

As already said the choice between Zermatt and Chamonix depends on the weather, your desire to move around, etc.

You’ll need to calculate around 2.5 to 3 hours travelling time. Use this link for detailed timetables: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Get an idea of Zermatt and maybe some support in taking your decision here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt

Enjoy bringing your trip to perfection and count on our support.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2019 at 4:53:46 #904236

I think I am working closing in on my 3 day itinerary. Below I have put together three days that I can do in any order depending on the weather.

Day 1 – Day trip to Zermatt

– Catch the earliest train to Zermatt arriving around 10am. In Zermatt I would like to do both the Klein Matterhorn and the Gornergratbahn. Hopefully with some time to explore Zermatt before returning back to Montreux.

Day 2 – Gruyere and Broc

– Spend the day visiting the cheese and chocolate factories. I would like to get fondue on this day. From some research it seems that Gruyere might be an “overrated”/touristy/expensive place for fondue. Is there somewhere else near by that would be a better option?

Day 3 – Chillon, Montreux, Lavaux

– Explore Montreux, walk to Castle Chillon, explore the castle. SPend the afternoon walking the vineyards and winetasting. I know the vineyards will still probably be very “sitck-y” and bare but will there still be places to do wine tasting or any of the wine caves open?

Does this seem like a reasonable itinerary? I am hoping to see as much as possible without spending too much time travelling. Also, considering this itinerary will it be worth it to do the Swiss Travel Pass. If my research is correct all of my travels would be included, the factories will be included, and it will allow for 50% transportation once I arrive in Zermat?

Thanks for all your help!

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 February 2019 at 19:05:21 #904237

Hi Msb26,

Looks good to me although day 1 will be a full one! On day 3 I’d recommend not to spend too much time on Montreux, just the lakefront perhaps. You can easily fill your day with the castle and the walk. The medieval town of Gruyères is definitely touristy but also picturesque. There is a restaurant at the cheese factory as well but of course that one is touristy too 😉 I’m sure there should be other places, e.g. in Broc, but I can’t recommend specific ones. A fondue in Montreux is an option as well.

You stated the Swiss Travel Pass coverage correctly. You can find details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

Further information can be found here:

Micalj
    Participant
    80 posts
    21 February 2019 at 2:37:19 #904238

Hi Msb26,

I’ve been following along as the interaction with the experts molded your decision on your trip. While I don’t consider myself a “Swiss expert”, my wife and I have traveled extensively in Switzerland over the past 40 years or so. For what it’s worth, in my opinion, you have chosen wisely in your latest itinerary. Zermatt is so picturesque, and we have enjoyed it more than our visits to Chamonix (no offense to those who enjoy Chamonix / Mt Blanc).

I have attached a link to the regional wine area with some info:

http://www.montreuxriviera.co m/en/Z6654/wine-tourism

I have also attached two pics of taken in Montreux at the lake in mid-March from one of our visits from some years back to give you a sense of what to expect. The poppies and pansies are just a few of the flowers planted in bloom along the lake promenade. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Mike J

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2019 at 2:45:57 #904239

Thank you Mike!

The pictures are beautiful, I’m really looking forward to the trip!

• The thread ‘Female solo traveler 3 days Lake Geneva in March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.