First class reservations for golden pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2015 at 19:05:44 #807548

Hi,

I’m planning to get a 2nd class 4-day Swiss Travel Pass thru raileurope for September. I would like to upgrade to first class seat for the Golden Pass rail section from Montreux-Zweisimmen. Is this possible? if so what is the best way to do it?

I tried to get reservations online in Raileurope site and it doesn’t seem to be working. I called Raileurope and they confirmed the system is down to make this reservations.

I also found out this website where it seems you can make a seat reservation for first and second class.

tickets.goldenpass.ch/ en/reservation/reserva tion/reservation/reser vation/reservation/res ervation/reservation/r eservation/reservation /f?p=151:1:56627844196182 1::NO:::

Can it be done thru this site using raileurope purchased swiss travel pass?

One last thing, Is there any difference between first and second class, in terms of train panoramic windows views for the Zweisimmen-Interlaken portion?

Thanks

-Rafael

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    13 July 2015 at 8:23:38 #844430

Hi Rafael,

If you’re in the US you can normally book seats through http://www.raileurope.com/us/ rail/point_to_point/tr iprequest.htm, but indeed it does not seem to work right now. The link you found can be used as well.

You can buy a second class pass through http://www.raileurope.com/rai l-tickets-passes/swiss-pass/index.html (see here for all retailers). It does not matter that you will purchase your seat reservations through another website. The pass and the reservation are not linked in any way. You just need to have both when boarding.

An upgrade to 1st class can be purchased at any staffed station in Switzerland, e.g. Montreux. Just show them your Swiss Travel Pass, and they will sell you the right upgrade.

I’m not familiar with the current rolling stock between Zweisimmen and Interlaken, but as far as I know the views are good in both 1st and 2nd class. That even applies to Montreux – Zweisimmen, apart from the 1st class VIP seats in the front of some of the trains. They offer a very different view. Of course 1st class is more spacious and comfortable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2015 at 4:24:56 #844431

Thank you very much! This pretty much clear my confusion.

-Rafael

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2015 at 10:08:04 #844432

I am looking at the same trip but am wondering if our Eural Pass is valid on the Golden Pass train from Intrlaken to Montreux. Would someone please comment on this particular query. Thanks so much ….

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 July 2015 at 18:24:39 #844433

Yes, Eurail Passes are valid. Please see myswissalps.com/eurail globalpass/validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2015 at 19:51:29 #844434

Many thanks, Arno, for your speedy reply. After we reach Montreux we are heading to Lugano. We presume this part of the journey will be on regional trains, would this be correct and would Eurail cover this part of the journey? We will then take the bus and catch up with the Bernina Express from Tirano to Chur and from there to Salzburg. We are hoping to take time on the way across as long as our Eurail Pass covers the journey.

I would really appreciate your comment on this section of our Swiss journey.

Many thanks ….

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 July 2015 at 18:14:16 #844435

Hi Rafael,

Please see the link I gave you. You can download the map and zoom in on Switzerland to see what’s covered. Your plans are covered as long as you don’t travel to Lugano via Brig – Andermatt. Seat reservations for the Bernina Express need to be purchased separately.

• The thread ‘First class reservations for golden pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.