About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum First trip to Switzerland - keen on wild camping
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

First trip to Switzerland - keen on wild camping

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Dldcubs23
Dldcubs23
1 post
Oct 11, 2020 - 9:07 PM

Ok just the basics here. Want to wild camp. What city should I fly to?(I’m American)

Do I need to rent car?

Do I just go out on my own and find a spot?

what should my plan be? Please help! TIA

Anna
Anna
960 posts
top member &
Oct 12, 2020 - 7:05 AM in reply to Dldcubs23

Hi Dldcubs23,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

The basics you should know regarding wild camping: It's allowed in the mountains above the treeline except in protected areas. Alternatively there are plenty of campsites where you can either pitch a tent, park your caravan or rent a mobile home etc.

You can find all the important details and links about wild camping in Switzerland here: www.myswissalps.com/campsites/wildcamping

Regards,

Anna

Glecor5
Glecor5
3 posts
Oct 15, 2020 - 6:19 PM in reply to Dldcubs23

Friend, first remember, US citizens are not allowed in Switzerland at the momend due to Coronavirus restrictions. Unless, you reside in a country deemed safe by Switzerland. I had to cancel a hiking trip to the Alps this fall because of that small detail. There's always 2021 (I pray).

Annika
Annika
6345 posts
expert &
Oct 16, 2020 - 10:58 AM in reply to Glecor5

Thanks for your input Glecor5! I'm sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip. I sure hope you'll be able to visit Switzerland next year! We keep track of the situation in Switzerland and travel options for tourists here: www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7536 posts
expert
Oct 18, 2020 - 1:39 AM in reply to Dldcubs23

Hi Didcubs23 -

Seems like you will not be able travel to Switzerland, as noted in other posts.

However, you will find the answers to your basic questions in the other pages of My Swiss Alps.

For example,check out the links under -

Getting Started , and,

How To Travel.

I'll note that many travelers don't rent a car, since the public transport system is incredibly goods. And, there are many places, especially in the Alps, where automobiles are not permitted. However, you can make that decision after you have decide where and when you want to hike and camp.

You might also be interested in the SAC huts. Search the forum for SAC or SAC huts, using the search tool.

Maybe you can use the information next year.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Oct 18, 2020 - 1:41 AM by Slowpoke

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020