First time visit to Swiss

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2013 at 12:04:02 #805807

HI,

Me and my wife are planning to visit Switzerland in June 2013 for 8/10 days. our interest is to go for all Excursion trips to Mountains like Mt. Jungfraujoch ; Schilthron; Mt Titlis; Matterhorn Glacier; Mt Pilatus; Rhine Falls and other lovely places in Lucerne; Interlaken; Zermatt; to travel in Glacier Express Train.

What is the best way to explore all this. I like to do this visit on my own and not in group travels.
    Regards
    Sumi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 February 2013 at 14:47:35 #838115

Hi Sumi. You can easily plan such a trip by yourself. You should first decide whether you’re fine with long travel days. If not, you should leave out some of the plans you mentioned below. Traveling times can be found through the timetable. I think it’s best to pick one or two base towns and make day trips from there. Interlaken or Lucerne would be fine for most of your plans. Only Zermatt and the Glacier Express are in a very different part of the country. This would require quite long journeys, but it’s doable. You could end your stay that way, for example: travel from Interlaken to Zermatt, get on the Glacier Express to St. Moritz there, and travel back to your airport (or another destination) from St. Moritz.

Hotels near the railway stations can be found for:

It seems you’ll be traveling quite a lot. A rail pass, such as an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass or a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, will save you money.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2013 at 1:16:05 #838116

Hi Annika, Thanks for your quick response and support. You are correct we will be traveling a lot, I also raised the same question to my travel agent who planned this trip, she said no the travel is not much.

Can we cover this plan in 12 days as against 8 days planned earlier. In fact we wanted to do Switzerland and Austria in this trip, 8 days in Switzerland and 6 days in Austria.

Do you suggest to drop some of the excursion in Switzerland or drop trip to Austria and spend more days in Switzerland.

Also can we have Swiss Rail Pass first for 8 days and than for 4 days so that we cover 12 days in Switzerland.

Also if we do direct hotel booking through Internet – will it be proper – I mean no harm.

Thanks & Regards
    Sumi

Annika
    7116 posts
    20 February 2013 at 1:26:52 #838117

Hi Sumi,

A 15-day Swiss Saver Pass is much cheaper than buying two passes for 4 and 8 days, so that’s the recommended option if you decide to stay longer. Please check the links I gave you for all purchase options and prices (select your country, pass type, etc. to see the correct offers). Switzerland offers plenty to do and see for 2 or more weeks, so it wouldn’t be a problem to just stay there. The hotel pages I suggested only link to booking sites we know and trust (and actually use ourselves), so it’s save to book there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2013 at 1:43:22 #838118

HI Annika, Thanks so much for your quick support. I will spend some time searching through the link provided by you. Till then good day, Oh for you its good night.

Thanks & Regards
    Sumi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2013 at 3:35:22 #838119

HI Annika; I went through all the links provided by you. It was really a great help and as said by you, it is really possible to plan for oneself rather then depending on Agent. The hotel link do not allow any booking for June 2013 as of now. Do you see any big jump in Tariff for Hotels in June. and also when can we expect to get the booking done online for Hotel rooms. Your idea for doing Glacier Express at the end of the tour period is really excellent. We can really plan that way and take train from Moritz to Zurich and fly back from Zurich. Only thing is I have to take very late flight from Zurich to Mumbai.

Thanks & Regards
    Sumi

Annika
    7116 posts
    20 February 2013 at 9:12:33 #838120

Hi Sumi,

Most hotels should be bookable already, even for June. Specific hotels can be an exception, either because they’re fully booked or just not available (yet). I can look into that if you’ve seen specific hotels you want to book and if you have exact dates. I don’t expect prices to rise. Booking in time is just a matter of making sure you’re getting the hotel and room that you prefer. Most hotels can be cancelled free of charge, so there’s no problem there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2013 at 21:33:10 #838121

Hi Annika, One Hotel Etap Lucerne City is providing accommodation for June. They are asking for Credit Card Details now. There web site says I have to pay only at the Hotel. Is it safe to share Credit card details with them.
    Also I tried three-four hotels in Interlaken City but each time Pop came that we can not book now. will try with some more hotel in Interlaken. I plan to stay 6 days in Lucerne and 7 days in Interlaken.

While traveling to Moritz on last day of the trip I will have to stay overnight at Moritz as all the flights from Zurich are morning flights.

Thanks & Regards
    Sumi

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 February 2013 at 3:50:49 #838122

Hi Sumi,

I have checked and indeed some hotels are already fully booked. Since you’re staying for quite some nights, it might be a bit more difficult to find available hotels, and it helps to book early. Here are some hotels in the lower price range that currently have rooms available through the booking sites we work with:

Interlaken: Hotel Blume
    Interlaken: Hotel Rössli
    Interlaken: Landgasthof Hirschen
    Interlaken: Hotel Derby
    Lucerne: Hotel Falken
    Lucerne: Hotel Etap (recently renamed to Ibis Budget Hotel Luzern City)

The credit card details will not actually be used by the hotel unless you’re not showing up and don’t cancel the booking either. You can pay in the hotel. Also most hotels allow cancelling up to the day of arrival without you being charged. You can cancel through the booking site. Exceptions apply to some hotels (it that case it will be indicated), but this is how most of them work.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2013 at 10:39:55 #838123

HI Annika: Thanks a ton for your prompt helps. I will start booking now, I am planning to stay 4 days in Lucerne 4 days in Interlaken 2 days in Moritz. Does this plan good or I have to increase my base place. My last worries is traveling with luggage from Rail Station to Hotel as most hotels are at least 15 min walk-able distance. Do we have local transport at reasonable cost or one has to just walk such distance.

One of my friend has suggested that there are Swiss family who are registered with Swiss Tourism Ministry under Swiss Government. These families are authorized to keep Guest in their apartment at nominal cost. They are called Bed & Breakfast (BB) family. Does such things exist and how safe are that.

Thanks & Regards
    Sumi

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 February 2013 at 10:56:34 #838124

Hi Sumi,

Sounds good to me. I would not pick more base towns as that can be hectic too. Your Swiss Pass includes free city transport in most towns, please see the downloadable map on our Swiss Pass page.

Sorry, I’m not familiar with the B&B family concept if that’s different than regular B&B’s.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2013 at 11:28:48 #838125

HI Annika, Thanks I mean regular B&B only.

Thanks & Regards
    Sumi

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 February 2013 at 15:11:44 #838126

Hi Sumi,

I wouldn’t be too worried about safety in Swiss hotels or B&B’s. There’s crime in any country, but Switzerland is generally a safe place.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2013 at 2:51:30 #838127

HI Annika, Thank you very much for all your support and guidance.

Regards
    Sumi

• The thread ‘First time visit to Swiss’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.