First time visiting Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2011 at 21:42:29 #804189

Hi There,

My BF & myself is travelling to switzerland on 13th May 2011 until 16th May 2011. I am very confused about many things, for example I intend to buy a 4 days swiss pass but unsure it is suitable since i am in Switzerland for 2 1/2 days. Can i get the pass from Geneva Airport after 2300 or where can i collect the pass? Can i use the pass to transfer from Geneva Airport to Geneva Town?

We will arrive in Geneva airport from Amsterdam around 11pm on 13th May 2011, hence i intend to stay in a local hostel at Geneva town before departing to Interlaken on 14th May 2010. Actually, what is the best transport should i use to transfer from Geneva to Interlaken? (can i use golden pass line train if i were to purchase a swiss pass)

This is what we have plan :-

Fri, 13/5 – arrive at Geneva Airport at 11pm. To overnight at hostel nearby Geneva town.

Sat, 14/5 – From Geneva town to Luzern/Lucerne (with Swiss Pass, is travelling via SBB free? / should i take Golden Pass Line Train, but how long is the journey and how frequent is the train?). After visiting Luzerne/Lucerne (Is Luzern/Lucerne the same?) will transfer back to Interlaken as we intend to stay at hostel in Interlaken.

Sun, 15/5 – Interlaken, Grindelwald/Murren, Jungfraujoch to experience mountain train (how much is the train and what is the operating hour?) , Lauterbrunnen. [Not sure whether will it be too pack?)

Mon, 16/5 – To explore Switzerland until afternoon before departing to Paris/ Paris Disneyland via train. [Would appreciate if you could suggest your opinion as in my mind i only know that from Interlaken-Lausanne (via golden pass line train) – Paris via TGV-Lyria.]

Please, give me your valuable advise about this intinerary.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 April 2011 at 1:41:20 #832431

Hi Ispnic,

Welcome to our forum! You can use a 4 day Swiss Pass, but a 3-day Swiss Flexi Pass would be slightly cheaper since you’re actually only traveling on 3 days. A Swiss Card is another option you may want to consider because it provides more discount on the Jungfraujoch trip. Each of the pass pages I linked to has a link to a network map show what is included/discounted. On the right side of each of those pages, you’ll find the various purchase options for that particular pass. Hotels near Geneva Airport are listed here.

Traveling times for Switzerland and the rest of Europe can be found through the timetable. Prices for the Jungfraujoch are listed on the website of the Jungfrau Railways.

One more thing: special panoramic trains like the Golden Pass Panoramic Express are included or discounted, depending on the pass. You may need a seat reservation though, which needs to be arranged for separately. But you can also use a regular train on the same route, not requiring reservations (check the timetable).

I hope this helps your planning.

• The thread ‘First time visiting Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.