First timer – Need help in choosing between Alps

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2016 at 15:30:28 #809392

Hi,

I’m planning to visit BO region of Switzerland in mid-june. Most of the itinerary is decided which includes one-day tour to Jungfrau as well.

I’ve one more day where I’m planning to visit either Matterhorn or Gornergrat or Schilthorn. I’ll be staying in Wilderswil.

Can someone please help me in taking a decision here? I’ve mixed reviews around each one of them. So, would need your help in finalizing one of these alps. Personally, I think the priority order should be:-

1. Klien Matterhorn

2. Gornergrat

3. Schilthorn.

But would request your experience here?

Regards,

Ashwani Sharma

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 June 2016 at 0:46:23 #852833

Hi Ashwani Sharma –

Can’t give a precise answer…personal opinions may differ.

Since I like to take my time and enjoy all the parts of a journey in a leisurely fashion, my own choice would be to go to Schilthorn.

As an aside, please note that Zermatt and the Matterhorn are not in the Berner Oberland; rather, in Kanton Wallis (canton Valais.)

All such decisions assume good viewing weather…check with the hotel reception, the train station(s) or the various tourist offices.

If you decide to go to Zermatt, consider taking the very scenic train via Kandersteg, instead of the fast new “Lötschberg basis tunnel.” The scenery inside the tunnel is not all that interesting.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2016 at 9:37:05 #852834

Wilderswil to Zermatt trough Kandersteg and Brig is about 4 hours one way by train.

Wilderswil to Zermatt trough “Basistunnel” and Visp is 2,5 hour one way by train.

When you like an very nice train trip you must go to Zermatt. On Spiez<>Kandersteg<>Brig you must sit on the right site of the train by depart from Spiez.

Greeting from the Netherland, Brahms

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2016 at 10:10:24 #852835

Thanks guys.

Since, I’m with family so don’t think we can spend 4 hours one way to Matterhorn. 2.5 hrs is still okay.

Mainly, I wanted to know if its worth going to Schilthorn in precedence to Matterhorn. 2.5 hrs travel (one way) is acceptable to me if Matterhorn outweighs Schilthorn.

Regards,

Ashwani Sharma

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2016 at 10:39:22 #852836

The few from the Schilthorn is very nice (only with nice weather…..)

But you can a lot of other thinks do also that day. A day on Schilthorn is to long.

You can visit the small village of Mürren and walk from Grütschalp <>Winteregg<> Mürren.

Also when you stay in Wilderswil, you can in the afternoon go to the Schynigge platte, the mountain railway from Wilderswil.

By nice weather it is better than 8 hours in the train, I think.

Greetings Brahms

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2016 at 10:52:56 #852837

I would go for Schilthorn as it is so muich closer to Wilderswill.. The cable car and bus are not covered on the Jung frau Travel Pass. The views from the top ‘James Bond’ restaurant are tremendous. If you are feeling flush, a meal in the revolving restaurant is cool. If not, why not stay lower down in Lauterbrunnen and visit the falls (there are plenty of walking suggestions in the forum).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 June 2016 at 15:01:26 #852838

Hi Aswhani Sharma –

<<“Mainly, I wanted to know if its worth going to Schilthorn in precedence to Matterhorn. 2.5 hrs travel (one way) is acceptable to me if Matterhorn outweighs Schilthorn.”>>

As I said before –

“Can’t give a precise answer…personal opinions may differ.”

You use the term “outweigh.”

To make that weighing, some one has to know what factors have what weighting in your personal views of what is important. The best person to know your mind is you. So, I recommend that you look at information about the two regions on this My Swiss Alps website,

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt

and on other sources, such as using the search function on the official Swiss Tourism website –

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/home.html.

Other posters in this thread have noted the diversity of options near Schilthorn, visible on this map:

http://www.swissholidayco.com /Public/Assets/User/fi les/Map-of-Jungfrauregion1.jpg

and also considered the time of travel needed for your choices.

A map for the Zermatt region for comparison is here:

I am not sure of your country, but, supposing that it is India, what would you say if I asked which “outweighed” the other –

Jaipur or Agra,

and further added that I did not want to see the Taj Mahal.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2016 at 15:23:58 #852839

Hi Slowpoke,

Thats a nice response & quite elaborative as well. Thanks for this.

By outweigh, I meant the one which is more scenic in terms of travel to the destination & above that the place itself. The one, out of these two, which offers better views & experience.

Regards,

Ashwani Sharma

Annika
    7103 posts
    9 June 2016 at 16:46:04 #852840

Hi Ashwani,

Have you taken a look at our Schilthorn, Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn pages? The information and pictures there may help you decide. All 3 are absolutely great, but if I had to pick my least favorite it would probably be Klein Matterhorn because you don’t see the Matterhorn there like you see it on the postcards. Still a nice place though, and an impressive journey, but the views from Gornergrat and Schilthorn are better I think.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 June 2016 at 17:39:55 #852841

Hi Ashwani Sharma –

Thanks for the clarification.

With your guidelines, I can offer two firm opinions.

In our household, there are two people. Each would have a different firm opinion.

My partner is a woman with an inquisitive mind who likes to experience new things. She knows some French.

I am a man who likes to find new things by digging deeply into a given subject (or area such as Switzerland.) Ich spreche wenig Deutsch.

I travel to Switzerland several times in most years and have found wonderful sights and experiences in every canton. Returning to those places has let me enjoy more details and find places that are not ordinarily seen by the first time traveler. My partner comes with me to Switzerland on about 25% of the trips. Her comment when I propose a trip –

“I love to go to Switzerland, but haven’t we already been to that part of the country and stayed in Murten? Isn’t that close to Sugiez? Why do you want to go there again”

My answer –

“Yes, but I think walking these trails and trying this restaurant in that town when we were there two years ago would be a good idea. And, do you remember that inn in Sugiez – where the speak French – with its own lake boat stop that we saw from the lake boat and that you thought would be interesting? I have read about it, and our friends in Zürich recommended it. And we did not go up on Mont Vully to look at the historical sights. And, I would like to try some more of the local wines, particularly from the vineyard of Mr. Simonet.”

Her answer –

“Not this time… I saw enough last time.”

In your circumstances and using your guidelines, I would go to Schilthorn, she would go to Zermatt. If the trip to Zermatt included the route via Kandersteg on the way to Zermatt, my choice would swing more toward Zermatt, but still would opt for Schilthorn.

Those are our firm opinions. They will not chnage for at least the next few months. 😉

Travel times – Wilderswil to Zermatt via Kandersteg is 3 hours and 31 minutes.

Wilderswil to Zermatt via the new “basis” tunnel is 2 hrs and 24 minutes.

Wilderswil to Schilthorn is 1 hr and 17 minutes.

Those are the exact numbers. I checked the timetable.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Brahm’s numbers were estimates

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2016 at 10:11:10 #852842

Thanks so much Slowpoke & each one of you.

I’m extremely happy to live in a World where we’ve so many people to help each other. You guys have helped me a lot in taking a decision here.

I’ll go to Schilthorn & will also explore Murren on the same day. I believe I can do that.

I can’t thank more. Each one of you is extremely helpful. My sincere thanks for giving me your precious time & thoughts.

Regards,

Ashwani Sharma

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 June 2016 at 12:29:47 #852843

Glad we could help.

Let us know with a trip report when you get home. We’d all like to know how it worked out for you.

Also- keep an eye on the weather while you are there. Going way up to be inside clouds is no fun, and the Valais might be clear when the Jungfrau is cloudy.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2016 at 13:39:00 #852844

Sure. It will be pleasure to share my experience.

The itinerary stands like this:-

1. 17th Jun – Land in Zurich. Go to Rhine Fall. On way to Wilderswil, if time permits, go to Lucerne & have some boating experience there. Then head towards Wilderswil for check-in into the hotel.

2. 18th Jun – If weather is good, head towards Jungfrou. Otherwise, visit Lauterbrunnen falls & surrounding places like Grindelwald.

3. 19th Jun – Murren & Schilthorn.

4. 20th Jun – Lauterbrunnen, if not already done on 18th. Then, head back to Zurich & take an evening flight back.

PS:- We’ll buy Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days.

Regards,

Ashwani Sharma

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 June 2016 at 15:11:19 #852845

Hi Ashwani –

Don’t know where you are coming from, and what time you arrive at Zürich Airport. However, you have set a very full day schedule for your arrival day, and if you are tired or jet-lagged, it may prove difficult. In fact, it may be impossible to fit all that in to one day, unless you intend to arrive at Wilderswil very late.

Even so, both the Rhine Falls and a lake boat ride at Luzern will be very difficult to accomplish. The route to Wilderswil via Bern is faster than the route via Luzern; that would be one way to save time. A lake boat ride will add significant time.

Please check the timetable linked above for your train travels. Lake boat travels are included in the time table, but it may be easier to use the timetables published by the lake boat company.

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

Scroll down to make sure you get the right dates…the schedule changes with the seasons.

And, if you scroll down even further, you can find a link for a map of the lake. It is upside down….north is at the bottom.

I prefer this map, which can be set to show train stations, etc.

map.search.ch/?x=11160m&y=20656m&z=16 &poi=parkhaus,viasuiss e,zug

Here are some useful links-

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities

That link discusses lake boat rides.

Here is a link for the Rhine falls, including how to get to them:

http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls

The Rhine Falls are powerful and impressive. But, if I had to make a choice between Luzern and the Rhine Falls, I’d choose to spend the time at Luzern, even if it were only a short time. There are many waterfalls all over the world; there is only one Luzern. It has a tremendous variety of scenery and an attractive old town. Once you study the time tables, you may find that you wish to make a choice between the two of them….or neither. You might choose to go directly to Wilderswil.

I have attached a few pictures from Luzern and the lake. The third one shows a peninsula called Bürgenstock, easily visible from Luzern lake shore, with an arrow pointing toward the location of a mountain restaurant called Hammetschwand. The views from up there are great. You won’t have time to go there, but I’m showing the pictures taken from up there to give you an idea of what the surrounding countryside and lakeshore are like.

There are lots of pictures of Luzern itself on the internet, in addition.

Your time in the Jungfrau region is good, because it can be flexible, and, once you are there, you may chose to add or subtract some item. There are plenty of things to choose from.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 June 2016 at 15:20:57 #852846

Hello Ashwani,

Your plans look fine to me, although I agree with Slowpoke that your arrival day is pretty full. But it will work if you land early and don’t visit the falls for too long.

I didn’t realize you’ll be traveling that soon. If you order your Swiss Travel Pass this weekend you will still be in time to get the print at home version. That saves you time, and in your case, a bit of money as well. As you live in the UK you can go to http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk?currency=GBP. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass in 1-3 business days (no delivery fees). The printout allows you to board the first train to the falls immediately upon arrival, rather than waiting for the ticket office to issue your pass.

Looking forward to your trip report!

• The thread ‘First timer – Need help in choosing between Alps’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.