First Trip To Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2013 at 18:10:20 #806201

Hi

We are a couple (Age 30 – 38) from Sydney, Australia. Planning our first trip to Switzerland for 10days.
    Can you please help me out with the following:
    1. How will be the season in Feb?
    2. What are the must see places?
    3. Will the 10 days be sufficient?
    4. What would be the first city we are required to fly from Sydney? What are the cities we will be required to visit before we fly back?

Thanks
    Aparna

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 November 2013 at 0:40:12 #839337

Hi Aparna, and welcome!

1. It’s Winter in February. There will be snow and Winter sports activities in the mountains. Depending on the altitude there can be snow in the vallies too.

2. 3. That depends on your interests. What would you like to do? Scenic train trips? Museums? Cities? Winter sports? Would you like to stay in 1 or 2 base towns or move around the country?

4. Most probably Zurich, but there are airports in Basel and Geneva too. I am not sure what you mean with “What are the cities we will be required to visit before we fly back?”.

Looking forward to your answers!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2013 at 20:12:38 #839338

Thanks Arno for your reply.
    Feb is winter time that’s good.
    I am planning this holiday to relax…
    My plan is as follow:
    1. Fly from Sydney to Swizerland.
    2. Spend 10 days in Swizerland.
    3. Train to Paris.
    4. Spend 2 days in Paris.
    5. Fly back from Paris to Sydney.

Which are the much places to be seen once in a life time?
    We are not interested in Museums, shopping etc

Thanks
    Aparna

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 November 2013 at 6:55:30 #839339

Hi Aparna,

Of course there are lots and lots of options, but here’s a suggestion:

• Book an apartment for a week in the Upper Engadine region, which is perfect to relax and enjoy the snow, do some hiking or sledging and visiting viewing points. You can consider the towns of St. Moritz, Celerina, Samedan, Bever, La Punt Chamues-ch, Zuoz and Pontresina for example. Rentals can be found here.
    • Then take the Glacier Express to Zermatt and spend 2-3 nights there. This is an “upper class” car free Winter sports resort which is quite unique. Find hotels here.
    • Then take the train to Brig, switch to the local train via Goppenstein and Kandersteg to Bern. Spend a few hours or a night in Bern. Hotels are here.
    • Travel to Basel and switch to the TGV Lyria to Paris there.

If you want a once in a life time experience then choose 1st class travel in the Glacier Express and enjoy lunch in the train restaurant.

A Swiss Flexi Pass or Swiss Pass would fit the suggested itinerary.

I hope this helps!

• The thread ‘First Trip To Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.