First visit to Switzerland in June 2013

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2013 at 1:34:20 #805938

Hi, I am flying in to Zurich and will be staying for 2 nights in Zurich, then 5 nights in Wengen, followed by 3 nights again in Zurich before flying back from Zurich.

The above arrangement seems odd, but as the accomodations are already booked, all I can do is try to make as much sense out of it as possible 🙂

The following is my draft itinerary which I will truly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Day 1 and 2 – explore Zurich

Day 3 – head over to Wengen – lunch and grocery shopping at the village – check in to chalet

Day 4 – visit Jungfraujoch (if weather permits, if not, will do it another day)

Day 5 – do Lauterbrunnen / Murren (+ Schildthorn) / Sorrenberg round trip

Day 6 – cruise from Interlaken West to Thun – explore Bern

Day 7 – Mt Titlis

Day 8 – check out of Wengen chalet and head back to Zurich – spend rest of day chilling out at city

Day 9 – visit Lucerne + Mt Pilatus

Day 10 – Visit Rhine Falls

Day 11 – bid farewell to Switzerland.

Thanks in advance 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    28 April 2013 at 10:08:44 #838486

Hi chrizzy! Your travel schedule looks doable to me. You are weather dependent though, so you may have to swap some day programmes according to weather circumstances. One piece of advice is to make the trip to the Titlis from Zurich (about 2h30 traveling time), not from Wengen (4h30 traveling time; please refer to the timetable and enter Kleintitlis as your destination). You could change the programmes for day 7 and 9, as Lucerne and Pilatus are easier to reach from Wengen than Titlis is. As for day 5, if you mean Sörenberg there: that’s quite far off from Wengen. It would be too much in my opinion to combine this with a trip to Lauterbrunnen and Mürren.

I think you should look into a rail pass to save money on your trips. Options are:

• a Swiss Flexi Pass, using free travel days for day 3 and 10 and some other days in between, on which you plan to make the longest and thus most expensive journeys. The first two days in Zurich could be covered by a ZurichCard.
    • an 8 day Swiss Pass, to be used from day 3 on. This would be the easiest mode of traveling. In this case too you could use a ZurichCard for the first two days;
    • a Swiss Half Fare Card. This requires you to buy 50% discounted tickets for each trip though.

Which one’s best, depends on your personal preferences and calculations based on your final travel plans.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2013 at 9:14:51 #838487

Hi Annika, thanks for the advice, shall tweak my plans as you have suggested. And thanks so much for the options re transport ( I was having headaches over them)

• The thread ‘First visit to Switzerland in June 2013’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.