Flexi pass or direct rail ticket

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2011 at 2:04:51 #804396

Hi,
    I will be visiting Switzerland on 22nd September.
    My itinerary will be:

• Paris to Wengen (via Basel) on 22nd September
    • Stay in Wengen (22-25 Sep)
    • Wengen to Milan on 26th September

1) Will it be better to buy tickets from sbb.ch in advance or should I buy it once i reach Switzerland
    2) Which pass would be most suitable ( have not yet decided on activities in Wengen, it might involve tram/train travel for short distances, I think that flexi pass makes most sense?)
    3) What is the best route to go from Wengen to Milan (most scenic route would be preferred, if it can involve one of the panoramic trains)

Please bear if some of the questions seem very basic or obvious. This is my first trip to Europe and any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Warm regards and Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    14 June 2011 at 4:55:18 #833161

Hi swapc! Welcome and don’t mind asking your questions, that’s what the forum is for. Now, as for your questions: I think the Swiss Card fits your needs. It offers a free trip from the border (Basel) to your destination (Wengen), and from your destination (Wengen) back to the Swiss border (depending on your train connection to Milan, this border station will be either Domodossola or Chiasso). On top of that, the Swiss Card offers a 50% discount on the trips you’ll be making in Wengen.

A Swiss Flexi Pass is worth considering if you plan to make some longer (and more expensive) trips from Wengen, for example to another part of the country. The free travel days offered by the Swiss Flexi Pass could be used for longer train journeys.

If you need (discounted) train tickets, for example when using your Swiss Card during your stay in Wengen, it’s easiest just to buy them at railway stations. You can use either manned desks or rail ticketing machines with clear instructions in English, allowing you to buy 50% discounted tickets.

Routes from Wengen to Milan can be found using the timetable. The route via Lucerne, Arth-Goldau and Chiasso is definitely scenic. You could even take the Wilhelm Tell Express, which involves a boat ride and a scenic train, between Lucerne and Lugano. Another route crosses Spiez, Brig and Domodossola. The quickest connection passes a tunnel between Spiez and Brig, but you can also choose to cross the mountains by the scenic regional Lötschberg Express. Just enter ‘Kandersteg’ and ‘Goppenstein’ as your via-stations in the timetable; it will show connections by Lötschberg Express if you do so.

Does this answer your questions? Kind regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2011 at 14:15:04 #833162

Thanks a lot for the detailed information. Really appreciate it, absolutely clarifies all the doubts.
    Warm regards

• The thread ‘Flexi pass or direct rail ticket’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.