Foodies looking for best restaurants in Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2019 at 14:22:52 #821889

Hi everyone,

Travelling to Switzerland with 2 girlfriends for 10 days starting on June 15th and looking for restaurant recommendations. I know that we can try tripadvisor or yelp for recommendation but curious to see what members of this forum would suggest.

We love food! Looking to try, obviously, local favorites but also perhaps less touristy places. Restaurant that serve, real, authentic, regional cuisine.

We will be based in Lucerne, Wengen and Zermatt so restaurants in any of those places (or close by) would be great.

Thank you in advance. Looking forward to visit Switzerland!

Nathalie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 May 2019 at 16:59:25 #913502

Hui Nathalie-

The best restaurant in Luzern has traditionally been at the Palace Hotel. I do not know if they have re-opened after a prolonged closure for rebuilding.

Another very good restaurant is “Bambou by Thomas” in a hotel called “The Hotel“. Not far from the station.

The odd name is because it used to be an oriental restaurant.

I go there on every trip.

Ralf Thomas used to run a very small restaurant in Dallenwill, at the Gasthof Kreuz. That is where I learned to appreciate his cooking. He sold it and moved to Luzern.

It recently got a Michelin star under its new owners.

Many good restaurants have some authentic local dishes on their card. One that does is Restaurant Schiff, Unter der Egg 8, by the river.

In general, you do not look for authentic local food at <<“……best restaurants in Lucerne “>>. You go out into the country side in small villages, a some of the inns that have kept the tradition of good kitchens. Fewer these days.

There are several good restaurants in Wengen:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

The most sophisticated kitchen in Wengen is probably at the Hotel Schönegg. Hotel Caprice used to be among the very best, but there have been some reports of change a few years ago. Places like that always work to keep a good kitchen, so I’d not hesitate to try it.

I don’t know Zermatt.

In Zürich , the Kronenhalle, near Bellevue, is an old, long-established clasic, high end traditional Swiss restaurant. There menu includes traditional Swiss dishes.

You will likely find more traditional Swiss food at places like Zeughauskeller and zum Kropf.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2019 at 18:20:57 #913503

Thank you very much Slowpoke, I will definitely check out the restaurant you suggested.

Maybe I should have thought about the title for my post a little longer, because what I am looking for is exactly what you describe here : ” In general, you do not look for authentic local food at <<“……best restaurants in Lucerne “>>. You go out into the country side in small villages, a some of th einns that have kept the tradition of good kitchens. Fewer these days.”

Would you have the name of some of those that would be close to Lucerne or Wengen?

Thanks again!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 May 2019 at 22:51:01 #913504

<<“Would you have the name of some of those that would be close to Lucerne or Wengen? “>>

For a start, read the link about Wengen that I provided.

And, note my comments about Luzern.

Cheese dishes – fondue and raclette are available almost everywhere….very Swiss. I don’t have specifics near those towns.

There are a fair number of Swiss dishes on thi s menu, at Sachseln.

http://www.engel-sachseln.ch/wp-content/uploads/2019/0 5/Mittagsmenues-1.pdf

Slowpoke

Ladynbrown
    Participant
    13 posts
    29 May 2019 at 5:02:16 #913505

May I ask a quick but maybe a dumb question about restaurants and food. We are both over 70 and eat very little. Do they allow sharing a meal in restaurants? It would save us some embarassment if we know before hand and not even ask if we know it is not an acceptable practice.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 May 2019 at 11:36:00 #913506

<<“We are both over 70 and eat very little. Do they allow sharing a meal in restaurants? It would save us some embarassment if we know before hand and not even ask if we know it is not an acceptable practice.”>>

Hi Ladynbrown –

Don’t know from experience. At the generally friendly inns where I stay in the countryside, they appreciate the business enough that there would be no problem. Elsewhere, such as cafeterias at Migros or Coop, you can be flexible in what you order. As a general rule, the Swiss are welcoming to tourists, especially those who say “please” and will accommodate you.

At regular restaurants, the card (not a menu, which is a set-piece meal, such as a “Tagesmenu” – the day’s special meal) will show some small portions. Some times labeled as “for the smaller appetites.”

In German, “die Vorspeisen” – the “before foods.” french may be “les hors d’oeuvre”

If you are from the USA, you may have developed the odd habit of calling the main course the “entree.” On the face of it, that is illogical. Don’t use the term in Europe. Ask for a “first course.”

Which language regions will you travel in?

Oh, by the way, I tend toward earth tones in y clothing…brown or tan sports coat, slacks, sweaters. Sometimes, in Zürich, I think I am the only person, other than tourists, who is not wearing black or shades of grey. Mentioned that to my Swiss friends at dinner one time, and they said “Don’t worry!” I said- “I’m not worried,,,,I think it is amusing.” And, I do.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Foodies looking for best restaurants in Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.