Forward facing seats Glacier and Bernina Express

• aswang
    Participant
    10 posts
    4 November 2022 at 9:05:10 #828589

Please correct if I understood correctly.

I have read in the other forums that although there are better sides to travel in the Bernina & Glacier Express, the direction of travel cannot be determined until time of departure.

Does this mean that there is also no way of determining which seats are forward facing (in the direction of travel) ? There will be 3 of us travelling in both the BEX and GEX trains. If there is a way of determining which are the forward facing seats, then I would at least chose 2 out of 3 of those seats for our party. I was planning to choose the 2 window seats and an aisle seat.

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2022 at 10:59:21 #948128

Personally I would not worry too much, adding unnecessary stress to your planning. You would be surprised at how many of the best views are gained from facing ‘backwards’ on some of the spectacular sections. If you are doing the full journey on the Glacier Express, then the train reverses direction at Chur.

It is worth remembering that there are only a small number of spectacular sections on the full Glacier Express journey.

Travelling West – East, the full Glacier Express route by ‘section’ and the key famous/spectacular ‘superzones’ are as follows:

Zermatt – Brig

none

Brig – Andermatt

Superzone 1 : Grengiols – immediately west of Grengiols station: viaduct over deep ravine, then steep ascent via spiral tunnel, be alert to see the view back down (sit on right)

Andermatt – Disentis

Superzone 2 : Andermatt to Nätschen incline: loop the loops interlaced with the Oberalp Pass road up a steep mountainside from Andermatt

Superzone 3: Oberalpsee (lake), Oberalp Pass then steep eastbound descent (sit on right)

Disentis – Chur

Superzone 4: Ruinalta (Swiss Rhine Gorge)

Chur – St Moritz

Superzone 5: Filisur – Bergün: Landwasser viaduct (the most iconic bridge on Swiss railways); spiral tunnel up from Filisur towards Bergün

Superzone 6: Bergün – Preda : spirals and loops, railway loops back on itself several times so you can see where you are about to go, and then look back to where you have just come from

aswang
    Participant
    10 posts
    4 November 2022 at 11:26:18 #948129

Thank you 1960man and for all the spectacular sections you’ve listed. I have noted them in my travel notes as something we should look out for when we take the Glacier Express !

aswang
    Participant
    10 posts
    4 November 2022 at 12:50:50 #948130

Another question on seats.

I have asked our travel agent to book us these particular seats in the Bernina Express, Wagon 2, seats 61, 62, 63. Has anyone occupied these particular seats before as it seems like there is no seat across seat 63. This will work perfect for us as we are just 3 in our group. A similar seat arrangement exists in Wagon 3 for Seats 71, 72 & 73. Is there anything I need to be aware of for these seats ?

Thank you.

Anna
    6382 posts
    4 November 2022 at 18:41:12 #948131

Hi aswang,

Yes, that is a typical seat arrangement on a train. The empty space across the seat is usually reserved for strollers or luggage.

Let us know if you need more information.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2022 at 19:04:57 #948132

The network operated by the Rhätische Bahn (RhB) and Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (MGB) is all metre gauge track, so the carriages cannot be physically very wide, therefore at the end gangway doors there is often only space for three seats across the carriage

You can see what I mean in this picture:

http://www.seat61.com/images/Bernina-express-2nd-cl-large.jpg

Anna
    6382 posts
    5 November 2022 at 5:43:33 #948133

Hi 1960man,

I agree with you. Thanks for your insight.

Anna

aswang
    Participant
    10 posts
    5 November 2022 at 6:58:25 #948134

Thanks Anna and 1960man. The picture of the train with the 3’seat configuration really helps.

• The thread ‘Forward facing seats Glacier and Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.