Fürigen Fortress and Basel Paper Museum

• Roseclar
    Participant
    18 posts
    22 January 2019 at 19:19:54 #819584

My thanks to moderators and others for this informative and helpful forum. We are planning 4th visit to Switzerland and husband says we must revisit

Furigen Fortress. Last year we travelled by train approx. 20 mins. From Luzern to Stansstad then a walk along lake front on a lovely sunny day, to this fascinating fortress one of those built by Swiss in mountains to help deter possible German invasion in WW11. The guide, with excellent english, took us through tunnels, showed living quarters for soldiers, the mess and kitchen, clinic and cannons followed by a film on how this engineering feat was accomplished. Well worth a visit. We returned to Luzern by boat.

Basel Paper Museum. Most children and teenagers are put off by the word “museum” but not this one. It is a great place to visit with many interactive exhibits and live demonstrations You can get your hands wet making your own paper from pulp, We found the cellar showing how rags were hung to rot to make paper so fascinating we took photos also watching how hot molten metal was carefully poured into molds to make letters for typesetting.

http://www.papiermuseum.ch/

So two days of next visit already planned…..3 with ride on steam train from Brienz to Brienzer Rothorn. Great restaurant up there….best chips I’ve had in years.

http://www.myswissalps.com/br ienzerrothorn

I read the forum and take note of interesting places for day trips from Luzern so again my thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Drtrupper
    Participant
    23 posts
    22 January 2019 at 22:40:40 #902643

Wow, talk about perfect timing. I just added Fortress Furigen to our itinerary today! Just curious how long did the tour last? How long did you spend there? We are lucky to be there the first Sunday of the month so planning to take the tour! Any other details greatly appreciated!

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 January 2019 at 6:13:10 #902644

Hi Roseclar, welcome back here! Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. For more ideas about things to do and see, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities.

Roseclar
    Participant
    18 posts
    23 January 2019 at 18:00:14 #902645

Hello Drtrupper. As well as site mentioned by Arno read tripadvisor reports…some are useful.

I had travelers wifi so using google maps easily found direction to Kehrsitenstrasse which takes you to fortress, a lovely walk. The entrance is a simple shed against mountainside. We enjoyed the 2 hour tour as the guide didn’t rush the group and took time to answer questions. Take a jacket as it is cold inside the mountain.

Enjoy your visit.

Drtrupper
    Participant
    23 posts
    28 January 2019 at 4:03:07 #902646

That’s exactly the information I was needing! Thanks so much for the information and the followup. We are excited to visit in June.

• The thread ‘Fürigen Fortress and Basel Paper Museum’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.