Gandria or Italian town very close to Lugano

• Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    25 January 2020 at 12:55:49 #824994

Hello again all you brilliant people at MySwissAlps. We may take a day trip from Luzern to Lugano in early May. After spending a couple of hours and lunch in Lugano the easy option appears to be the boat to Gandria. Or is there an Italian lakeside town nearby worth visiting for a couple of hours? I note that Campione has recently been handed over to Italy. Many thanks for any comments …

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    25 January 2020 at 13:15:16 #928680

Hi Sweyne,

Most of the villages/ towns along the shores of Lake Lugano are pretty and picturesque. My favourite however is Morcote. It’s a bit further south and takes about 50 minutes with the boat and 30 minutes with the bus from Lugano.

Have a look at this page for more boat trip suggestions on Lake Lugano: http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakelugano

Regards,

Anna

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2020 at 19:58:12 #928681

Hi Sweyne,

This trip report may offer some inspiration.

For a combined boat trip and lunch suggestion see here.

I don’t think you could say Campione d’ Italia has changed hands “recently”! 😎

Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    25 January 2020 at 21:21:58 #928682

Hello Rock Oyster

Many thanks for your trip report to Lugano most helpful and beautiful. Very useful ideas for our taster trip to Lugano that may help us to return one day.

As far as Campione is concerned 1 Jan 2020 sounds pretty recent to me.

Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    25 January 2020 at 21:26:02 #928683

Many thanks Anna. Can clearly see why Morcote is a favourite.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2020 at 21:30:37 #928684

Campione d’ Italia is in Lombardy (though surrounded by Swiss territory) and has been Italian “forever”. Clue’s in the name. Perhaps you are referring to the changed Customs area arrangements. home.kpmg/us/en/home/insights/2020/01/tnf-switzerland-campione-d-italia-now-part-of-eu-customs-union-new-consumption-tax.html

Though there are clearly other implications – http://www.thelocal.com/20200103/arrivederci-campione-italian-exclave-in-switzerland-returns-to-its-homeland. 🤓

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 January 2020 at 0:11:29 #928685

The devil is in the details.

The press lacks subtlety.

Nicely done.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2020 at 1:00:49 #928686

Morcote suffers from its ‘beauty’ by getting clogged with tourists in high summer but your date may be just the right time to go.

Around Lake Lugano, don’t miss Swiss Miniatur in Melide (railway station and lake boat landing stage)

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    27 January 2020 at 3:36:01 #928687

Is this a real “day trip”, one where you will leave Lucerne in the morning and get back to Lucerne the same day ? If so, I wouldn’t dilly-dally a couple of your precious hours in Lugano. If you get there on a nice day, the boat ride to Gandria is nice, and the view from the water beside the Gandria dock towards Lugano and Monte San Salvatore is very nice. But I agree with Anna about Morcote, and would go to it if I had to chose only one of these places. And if you have time you can, as 1960man has mentioned, visit the Swiss Miniatur in Melide. Another thing I would highly recommend is a ride up the funicular to the top of Monte San Salvatore. It is easily and quickly reached from Paradiso, directly south of Lugano. Actually, I would recommend the ride to the top of San Salvatore over the visit to Swiss Miniatur.

As for Campione, this is an Italian enclave (completely surrounded by Switzerland) in the Lago di Lugano area which until January 1 of this year operated in a semi-Swiss fashion, even though it is part of Italy. They used Swiss money, had Swiss (Ticino) license plates on their cars, had a VAT which was the same as the Swiss one, had their water purified by the Swiss and even their garbage was picked up by the Swiss. It was not in the EU customs area. So now Campione is in the EU customs area, although a deal has been made to keep the VAT at the same as the Swiss rate (for now). So the heading in The Local that rockoyster links us to, “Switzerland just handed one of its towns back to Italy”, is misleading. There was no handing back to Italy, as it was Italian all along. By the way, did you know that its original name was simply Campione, until 1933 when Mussolini added d’Italia to make sure that everybody knew it was part of Italy ?

I attach a map of the area, with red ovals indicating Gandria, Morcote, San Salvatore, and Paradiso. I have shown the location of the Swiss Miniature with a red arrow. It’s beside the causeway that crosses the lake. On this map, one can also see Campione d’Italia and the section of the lake that goes along with it.

By the way, I hope you will be able to spend at least one night in the Ticino.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 January 2020 at 8:51:02 #928688

Hi Sweyne

<<“We may take a day trip from Luzern to Lugano in early May. After

spending a couple of hours and lunch in Lugano the easy option appears

to be the boat to Gandria.”>>

I am tempted to suggest the nice train ride through and mostly over the Gotthard Pass, which is part of the Gotthard Panoramic Express route, because it a very nice ride, with a some good scenery and quite impressive rail engineering. However, your need for speed means that you should be sure to take the new fast Gotthard Basis tunnel.

We have visited all of the sites noted in Peterli’s and others comments, with the exception of the Swiss Miniatur, and agree that they are excellent suggestions.

Somwhat surprisingly, we found the Swiss Customs Museum across from Gandria to be quite interesting. Don’t think you’ll have time to fit it in.

http://www.luganoregion.com/en/see-do/art-culture/detail/id/3124/swiss-customs-museum

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Customs_Museum

The map that Peterli attached does not have a scale on it. For calibration, this link will give you the same map without the helpful markups that he provided, but with a distance scale. That will give a good idea of the distances involved. We found the walk to Gandria to be quite pleasant and had a nice lunch there. It is a bit more than 3 km from the ship landing and the lido at Cassarate.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=en&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=1392,1538,1396,1430,1436&layers=ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2718710.00&N=1095685.00&zoom=7

I have also turned on the marked hiking trails; the yellow ones require no special gear. The red ones really need good boots or hiking shoes and a hiking staff.

Slowpoke

Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    27 January 2020 at 11:49:02 #928689

Many thanks Slowpoke…

• The thread ‘Gandria or Italian town very close to Lugano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.