Geneva to Basel in 3 days and 4 nights

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2015 at 21:59:54 #806979

This will be the last leg of our trip. My husband and I and our 18 & 21 year old fly into Geneva and home from Basel the morning of the 4th day. We like walking and trains and sight seeing. Would anyone mind helping plan an itinerary that optimizes that time? Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    13 March 2015 at 20:01:08 #842010

Welcome to MySwissAlps, perlingc!

An itinerary that includes your preferences could look like this (depending on your time of arrival and departure on the 1st and 4th day of course):

You can plan your trips with the aid of the timetable.

A rail pass will help you save money. Depending on your plans, either a Swiss Half Fare Card or a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex could be a good choice. Here‘s how to find out which pass suits your needs best.

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2015 at 21:16:17 #842011

Thank you so much. We actually leave on day 5 from Basel. Do you suggest we spend the first night in Geneva and nights 2 & 3 in Interlaken or Lucerne? This is very helpful.

Annika
    7125 posts
    13 March 2015 at 22:17:04 #842012

Yes, that’s the suggestion. The links will help you plan your trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2015 at 16:36:38 #842013

If we take the Golden Pass from Geneva to Lucerne can we do the Chocolate Train and visit both the Chocolate and Cheese factory on the way to Lucerne in that same day? I have been trying to figure that out since it is on the way. Thinking we can leave our luggage at the train station as we sight see and then pick it up and head to Lucerne. What I have read is that the Chocolate train is round trip to Montreax. Plus, I cannot figure out how to even book those reserved seats. Thank you.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 March 2015 at 1:30:54 #842014

<<” from Basel the morning of the 4th day.”>>

PerlingC-

Make sure that you make a few mintes in Basel to see the Tinguely Water Sculpture. It is about a 10 minute walk from the Bahnhof.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/tinguely-fountain-basel.html

Worth the detour, as they say. 😉

Annika
    7125 posts
    31 March 2015 at 4:22:30 #842015

Hi perlingc,

The Chocolate Train is a full day excursion from Montreux, so it can’t be combined with anything else. Montreux to Lucerne via the Golden Pass line takes over 5 hours, so that’s also the better part of the day. You’d best stick to that, plus some sightseeing in Montreux or Lucerne for example.

• The thread ‘Geneva to Basel in 3 days and 4 nights’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.