Grindelwald to Venice with Bernese Oberland Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 4:18:03 #816263

Hi All,

We are travelling from Geneva, staying a night in Montreux then on to Grindlewald for 4 nights. We then want to catch a train to Venice.

Was wondering if anyone had advice re train passes. I will get a Bernese Oberland pass (BOP) for the time we are there. I plan to use that pass as we head towards Venice as I believe trains to Brig are included in the pass. I’m not sure of the train route after that and what Swiss town we would need to purchase a ticket to from Brig and then to Venice.

Also trying to figure out if a half fare card is worthwhile for trips outside of the area covered by the BOP as the half fare card will also get us 25% off the BOP (and we’re also in the Jungfrau area for 5 days so we’ll only have a 4 day BOP).

Hope you’re not too confused (I think I am!) and can offer some advice.

Thanks,

Paul

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 May 2018 at 7:16:47 #886519

Hello Paul,

From Brig you would head to the Swiss border at Domodossola and connect there with a train to Venice via Milan. If you use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your trip you should be able to organise to stay on the same train at Domodossola. You will need a reservation and ticket from there to Venice.

See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

Whether a Swiss Half-Fare Card is worth it is something you would have to weigh up based on your itinerary. Have you read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 10:15:58 #886520

You can see what train routes are included on the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/regionalpassbern eseoberland/validity

You’ll need to take the fast train via the Lötschberg tunnel to Brig as well with the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland and that’s where your coverage ends.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 11:56:15 #886521

Thanks Rockoyster and Lucas,

Really appreciate your help

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    2 June 2018 at 9:00:54 #886522

Hi Sparksy,

I understood that the Berner Oberland Pass does not include the base tunnel from Frutigen to Visp. I’m sure that the line on the synoptic map is grey, not black but it’s hard to see.To use the BOP to reach Brig the old route via Kandersteg needs to be used. It takes an extra half hour.

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 9:12:05 #886523

Very true, my wording confusion there.

You can’t take the longer, faster, tunnel (Lötschberg Basistunnel) with the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland.

You must take the more scenic route via Kandersteg with the shorter and more scenic Lötschberg-tunnel. 🙂

A win-win for tourists (not in a rush). Thanks Andrew for catching that. The Lötschberg Basistunnel is grey compared to the black link from Kandersteg to Lake Oeschinen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 10:17:30 #886524

Thanks very much for your help Andrew and Lucas. That’s really good to know. I think you’re right Lucas – it’s a win win – I heard the scenery from the train around that area is fantastic! Is that part of the Glacier Express route?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 10:48:47 #886525

I can answer my own question – it’s not part of the Glacier Exp!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 June 2018 at 10:52:37 #886526

✔️

• The thread ‘Grindelwald to Venice with Bernese Oberland Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.