Geneva Trip March 13

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2013 at 15:49:30 #805781

Hi All,

We will be arriving in Geneva next month for a 4 day, 3 night trip. I have been looking at car hire but my wife is not too keen on the idea after our holiday in corfu. Not my fault I add in my defence.

So too keep things simple, I’m now looking at public transport. What would be the best Train / Bus pass to buy ?
    As we have never been to Geneva before, is there a day / half day train journey that is reccommended !
    Is it better to buy the pass online or when we arrive ?
    I have noticed that a few Hotels offer a free public transport card on arrival, what transports do they cover ?

So far only booked our flights. Looking for Hotel in the next few days.

Thanks in advance for any help with the above.

Dave 😉

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    4 February 2013 at 14:28:34 #838023

Hi Dave! Geneva hotels offer their guests a Geneva Transport Card indeed. It allows free urban transportation, so if you’ll be making trips outside of the city, that won’t be enough. Whether you need another rail pass, and which one is best, depends on the trips you have in mind. If you’ll be staying within the Geneva region, either the Swiss Half Fare Card or the 2/5 day Regional Pass Lake Geneva would be fine. If you plan to make long trips and appreciate unlimited traveling, you could consider a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass or 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. Most pages I linked to show purchase options, both online and locally, too; just fill out your country of residence and further details in the upper right corner.

Here‘s how to calculate which pass is most economical.

You could make train trips in the direction of Montreux, Gstaad and Zweisimmen; that’s a splendid journey. Also consider the Chocolate train to Broc.

As for hotels: hotels near the railway station of Geneva are listed here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2013 at 16:14:26 #838024

Thank you Anniika,

I have now booked our Hotel and looking forward to our visit. I will look at your suggested train journeys.

Thanks again.

Dave;-)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2013 at 4:15:36 #838025

Hi all,
    I’ve just looked at the prices for the Goldenpass Montreux – Zweisimmen 62CHF 2nd class, is that after the 50% reduction for half fare card.
    I’m not sure as there is a note underneath which makes reference to the 50% reduction in Red.

Dave;-)

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 February 2013 at 4:33:41 #838026

Hi Dave,

That’s the regular fare of a return ticket. You’d pay half that amount with a Swiss Half Fare Card or nothing with one of the other passes Annika mentioned.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2013 at 5:18:38 #838027

Thanks Arno,
    If I reserve two seats is the price reduced by that ammount ( 8CHF ) when paying on the day of the journey.

Dave;-)

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 February 2013 at 5:39:47 #838028

I assume you mean what happens if you have a pass? Then you don’t need a ticket, but if you choose to travel on a train that requires seat reservations, you always have to pay for that separately. It’s all explained on the reservation page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2013 at 10:07:48 #838029

Thanks for your help Arno.
    All is now clear.
    Dave;-)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2013 at 16:32:23 #838030

Hi all,

Does the ” Regional Pass Lake Geneva-Alps ” cover a journey on the Golden Pass from Montreux to Zweisimmen.

Do the 2 free days start at the beginning of the pass start date ?

That should be all I need to know then, thanks for your help.

Dave;-)

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 February 2013 at 2:00:37 #838031

Hi Dave,

Yes, it does. You’ll find a map of what’s covered through the link that Annika provided (“freie Fahrt” means free travel).

The free days can be used as you like within the 5 day period. That period starts at the pass start date.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2013 at 4:15:16 #838032

Thanks again Arno,

Looks like the Regional pass is all we need I will get them upon our arrival in Geneva.
    Looking at the Golden Pass last night I noticed that there are carriages that are not reserved, so I assume this allows for just turning up on the day.
    We intend to travel on the Golden Pass on the Sat 23rd March, is this a busy time ?

The only reason for asking is by reserving our seats we are depentant on the weather and if we don’t reserve our seats it does give us a least another day Sun 24th
    but at the same time we want to make sure there will be seats available. Catch twenty-two ( do I don’t I ) as we say here in old blighty.

Dave;-)

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 February 2013 at 5:00:54 #838033

Hi Dave, you’re welcome,

I don’t know where exactly you can buy that pass locally. Probably at any manned rail station in the region, but I’m not 100% sure. The provided link allows you to have it delivered to any Swiss address (e.g. your hotel) for CHF 6. Or to your home address for a higher fee.

The end of March is low season, although that does not guarantee anything for one specific train. Usually the panoramic coaches require reservation, and the regular coaches do not. The timetable provides details about such things. You can even book seats one day prior when you’re more sure about the weather. Of course your favourite seats may be taken by then, but I wouldn’t expect a fully booked train in March. Especially the VIP seats in the front of the train are quite popular, and there are only a few available.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2013 at 4:42:32 #838034

Hi Arno,
    Received an email from SBB saying that the ” Regional Pass Lake Geneva – Alps ” could be purchased from most stations.

Dave;-)

• The thread ‘Geneva Trip March 13’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.