Glacier 3000 & Montreux trip from Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2018 at 11:34:01 #817376

Hi Team,

i am visiting Switzerland in Aug with my wife an infant kid(1 year old). During our visit we plan to keep Interlaken as our base for 6-7 days and use swiss pass to make our each day trip.

While preparing itinerary we came across Glacier 3000 & Montreux region and would like to check if it’s possible to cover both in a single day trip from Interlaken & back to Interlaken. Will it be ok to travel with an infant on different excursions or are there any restrictions with infant like Matterhorn which apparently I got to know recently

thanks in advance

Sumit

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 July 2018 at 23:54:44 #891982

Hi Sumit –

<<“would like to check if it’s possible to cover both in a single day trip”>

Hi Sumit –

Don’t understand what you mean by “cover.”

The timetable will help you understand the timing and availability of journeys:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Searching for the names of the places on this site will help you understand what is available at various places.

With those data, you can decide what “cover” could include, and, what you want to include in “cover”ing.

If you do not understand what is avaialble to “cover,” please come back with more questions.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 July 2018 at 3:06:02 #891983

Hi Sumit,

You can certainly travel Interlaken – Gstaad (Glacier 3000) – Zweisimmen – Montreux – Interlaken in a day but don’t expect to have too much time to look around.

I don’t think I would be taking a 1-year old to a 3,200m high summit.

Maybe have a look at this http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/day-trip-to-glacier-3000-near-gstaad.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 July 2018 at 6:59:00 #891984

Hi Slowpoke: I don’t think we need to focus on one word too much here. It’s clear that Sumit considers to visit multiple places in a day.

Hi Sumit: taking kids under 2 years old above 2500 m should be done with care. In most cases it’s no problem, but do check with your doctor. Personally I’d visit lower places and postpone trips like that until the child is older. It will be a pretty long day: at least 6 hours of traveling excluding any sightseeing time. See Slowpoke’s timetable link for details. With a child, it would be too much for me, but everyone’s travel style is different.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2018 at 11:59:11 #891985

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the suggestion. My current itinerary is as below, keeping my base location as Interlaken:

Day1: Land in Zurich, relax a little bit at airport, drop luggage at airport and go to Rhine Falls, Schaffhausen – evening check -in Interlaken

Day2: jungfraugh

Day3: Interlaken-Zermatt-Montreux (Golden Pass)- Interlaken

Day4: Interlaken -Titlis-Interlaken

Day5: Open for suggestion , Ginderwald or Glacier Express (Brig-Chur -Interlaken) or any other recommended one

Day6: Check-out for Paris from Basel

look forward to your feedback

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 July 2018 at 12:07:56 #891986

Hi Sumit,

Apart from day 2, all days will be very long. Did you check the timetable, added sightseeing time to the traveling time, and are still fine with it?

The Glacier Express is perfect to move from one location to another, but as a day trip from one base it will take a lot of time: a least 9-10 hours in your case. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress for details.

Personally I would spend more time around Interlaken. The region offers plenty of nearby attractions to enjoy yourself for weeks. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland/activiti es. In the end it’s up to you of course. If you like train traveling (the views are often very nice), then this may work for you.

• The thread ‘Glacier 3000 & Montreux trip from Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.