Glacier Express (1st class or 2nd class?)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2015 at 20:23:17 #807819

Greetings,

I have 2 questions:

1. I currently have 3 second class swiss passes for my family and self, however, if I want to travel on glacier express by 1st class – I believe I will have reserve 1st class seats and in addition buy an upgrade ticket from the station for 1st class on glacier express. Is this information correct? If so, how much will the upgrade fee be if i am taking the train from Zermatt to Chur?

2. We were originally planning to take glacier express from Zermatt to Andermatt and then go to Lucerne from there as we are booked in Lucerne after Zermatt. Do you recommend taking the train to andermatt or to chur? I read that the highest peak that will be passed on glacier express is between Andermatt and Chur – so wanted to see if its worth making that extra travel from Andermatt to Chur or just get off Glacier Express at Andermatt?.

Look forward to some responses. Thank you 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 August 2015 at 8:02:58 #845699

Hi sneha1409, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

You can indeed buy upgrade tickets to enjoy a 1st class Glacier Express ride with a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass. Such tickets cost half of the price difference between 1st and 2nd class and can be obtained at the railway station before boarding. Regular 1st and 2nd class fares can be found by following the link to standard ticket prices at http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/tickets.

The Glacier Express section to Andermatt is certainly beautiful. The additional leg to Chur does include the Rhine gorge, and that’s quite spectacular in my opinion. The entire route is described at http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/tickets. It may help you to decide whether you want to move on to Chur before heading for Lucerne. Also consider traveling time: Zermatt-Andermatt-Chur takes about 5h50, Zermatt-Chur-Lucerne about 8h30.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2015 at 23:15:47 #845700

Thanks for your reply Annika!

1. So just to confirm if I want to travel 1st class on glacier express and if i have a swiss travel pass, I’ll be paying 33 CHF Reservation fee + (50% of difference between 1st class and 2nd class ticket which 205 chf – 116 chf), correct?.

2. If I am interested to go either bungee jumping or paragliding at interlaken but will be making a day trip from lucerne to interlaken and jungfrau – do you think there’s sufficient time to squeeze in paragliding? Do i have to book in advance or can I make it as soon as I reach Interlaken? Please let me know your thoughts.

3. is the additional travel time from Andermatt to Chur worth sitting through if my final destination for that day is Lucerne?

Thanks again!!

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 August 2015 at 11:38:18 #845701

Hi sneha1409!

1. Yes, that’s correct. The exact upgrade price of course depends on whether you need a Glacier Express ride up to Andermatt or up to Chur.

2. Just the Jungfraujoch trip from Lucerne will take a large part of your day. The timetable allows you to check traveling times. Adventure excursions like paragliding have to be booked in advance, so combining it with a Jungfraujoch visit requires detailed planning. You could check the Interlaken Tourism website to explore the options.

3. The scenery between Andermatt and Chur is worth it, but it’s really up to you whether you’re fine with such a long trip. Note that the leg Andermatt-Lucerne is quite special too: you could travel by train to Flüelen and then get on the boat to Lucerne, for example. This is part of the Wilhelm Tell Express route. Whatever option you choose, you’ll definitely have a scenic ride that day!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2015 at 17:21:55 #845702

Thanks once again for your response, Annika. Really appreciate all your suggestions. Will look into all of the above.

1. If we are travelling by Glacier express with all of our luggage – do you recommend 1st class or 2nd class? We don’t want it to be super cramped either. Please let me know your suggestion.

2. We reach Lucerne on the 11th evening and have till the 14th afternoon. We leave for lugano on the 14th afternoon – What do you recommend our the important places we cover in and around lucerne? I was thinking a day for Interlaken and Jungfrauu — but if it takes too long might need to do this over 2 days. Apart from that we were going to try to squeeze in a trip to Rhine falls/Zurich and/or do the Arth-Gold-rau.

3. What are your recommendations for must-does in the Lugano area?

Thanks once again!

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 August 2015 at 4:33:23 #845703

Hello sneha1409,

1. Well, 1st class is definitely more spacious, so if you can afford it would be the more comfortable option. If you have a lot of luggage you can store it in the designated baggage area at the end of each car. Be sure to keep an eye on it or secure it. There are luggage transport services too.

2. Please see the Lucerne page for suggestions. Jungfraujoch is too far away (more than 4 hours one way). Interlaken is not really worth a visit (see here), although the train ride to get there is very nice (Golden Pass route). I’m not sure what you mean by “do the Arth-Gold-rau”. Arth-Goldau is a town, or actually two towns, at the base of Mount Rigi, a very nice day trip from Lucerne.

3. Please see myswissalps.com/ forum/topic/trip-to-lugano-1.

Arno

• The thread ‘Glacier Express (1st class or 2nd class?)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.