Glacier Express sold out, what to do?

• Pamela
    Participant
    19 posts
    24 December 2019 at 1:15:15 #824712

I’d like to take the Glacier Express on Dec 27, but it appears to be sold out.

However, the Happy Rail website will sell me a Day Pass and a Seat on the Glacier Express. Will this get me on the train?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Pamela

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 December 2019 at 5:11:25 #926843

Hi Pamela,

Happyrail seem to have a habit of taking your money and then trying to get you on the train. If they can’t they will give you a refund.

If the GEX website says it is sold out then I would take their word for it. I would be amazed if it wasn’t sold out by this stage.

You can always follow the same route on regular trains without seat reservations. See how to at http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere.

Pamela
    Participant
    19 posts
    24 December 2019 at 5:32:59 #926844

Thank you for the clarification.

On SBB, how can I search multiple stops, to recreate the Glacier Express route?

Am I right in thinking this will be 4 trains, corresponding to the 4 sections of the Glacier Express route?

Thank you!

Pamela

Pamela
    Participant
    19 posts
    24 December 2019 at 5:43:57 #926845

Now that it won’t be on the Glacier Express, I’m questioning if spending all day traveling from Zermatt to St. Moritz is a good choice? What about a shorter journey, from Zermatt to Lugano (Gandria?). Is the scenery this time of year, on the “regular” trains, worth an all-day trip? This train route was the main reason I picked Switzerland, so perhaps I should stick to my plan, GE or not.

By the way, I plan to stay in Lecco after this.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 December 2019 at 6:09:52 #926846

Hi Pamela,

I recommend using the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) for checking train, bus, boat and cable way timetables. In the unlikely event you don’t have a device capable of running the app then you can use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B). If you are not familiar with using the SBB timetable it is worth first reading the instructions at http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

For the GEX route you want Zermatt to St Moritz via Andermatt. For Lugano you want Zermatt to Lugano via Andermatt or Zermatt to Lugano via Domodossola and Locarno.

The scenery on the regular trains is exactly the same as on the GEX. You just need to change trains a bit. Do you have accommodation booked in St Moritz? I imagine it would be packed out.

Anyway if your main aim is to follow the GEX route then do it on regular trains. By all means try Happyrail but don’t hold your breath.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2019 at 6:36:02 #926847

Hi Pamela and welcome to MySwissAlps,

To be sure to see the Glacier Express route in the timetable, enter the via-station Andermatt. Trains labeled PE (Panorama Express) are Glacier Express trains. (You can read more about the Glacier Express route at http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere)

I also believe that it will be difficult to find accommodation in St Moritz at this point. You’ll find a list of recommended accommodations at http://www.myswissalps.com/stmoritz/hotels and http://www.myswissalps.com/stmoritz/rentals.

You can read about the Saver Day Pass at http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass.

I hope this helps.

Pamela
    Participant
    19 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:02:00 #926848

Via HappyRail, I booked a Day Pass (half price) and a Glacier Express Excellence class ticket. This is reflected on their website, as attached.

I wasn’t able to select a seat, but maybe I have a seat??

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:08:33 #926849

Hi Pamela,

When did you make this booking? Not just today surely?

The Excellence Class is the equivalent of flying First Class. Happy Rail doesn’t offer the opportunity to pick seats but don’t worry. Everyone gets a window seat in Excellence Class.

Do you already have accommodation in St Moritz?

Pamela
    Participant
    19 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:13:48 #926850

I booked it since we’ve been chatting!

Pamela
    Participant
    19 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:16:39 #926851

Did I go about this correctly, in booking both a “Swiss Saver Day Pass” and the “Passholder Fares – Glacier Express – Excellence Class” for Dec 27?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:17:14 #926852

Amazing. But even if my original theory (about Happyrail) holds true at least you now know how to get from Zermatt to St Moritz on regular trains. I’ll be very interested to hear how it works out. Hope you have a wonderful trip. 😎

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:20:03 #926853

Did I go about this correctly, in booking both a “Swiss Saver Day Pass” and the “Passholder Fares – Glacier Express – Excellence Class” for Dec 27?”

Sure. More power to you if you can afford the top level.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:20:36 #926854

Do you have accommodation in St Moritz?

Pamela
    Participant
    19 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:20:45 #926855

Yes, I have accommodations in St. Moritz at Parkhotel Margna. Not a cheap place for just a single bed. But I did snag the last single room there weeks ago.

Go figure, I booked the room awhile ago and dragged my feet on the rail ticket. 😉

Thank you for your “give it a shot” attitude … I’m giving it a try!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:25:26 #926856

Hi Pamela,

looks good for me. You do not need to buy any other seat reservation.

I wish you a wonderful trip. Please let us know how it was 🙂

Happy holidays!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:27:33 #926857

Hi Pamela,

The Park Hotel Margna is not actually at St Moritz. Not far but still another train ride further on at Sils.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:30:44 #926858

Hi Pamela,

I don’t want to be the Grinch that Stole Christmas but the thing you have from HappyRail is an order confirmation it is not a seat reservation or a Saver Day Pass. I hope you get those by email directly.

Pamela
    Participant
    19 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:31:44 #926859

Ah, thank you for that bit of information, didn’t realize.

And I now have the app, much easier!

Pamela
    Participant
    19 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:34:37 #926860

Yes, true. I received the Day Pass via email, and they say they will send the GEX bit within a day. We shall see…

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:38:06 #926861

Worst comes to the worst you can use the Saver Day Pass to travel 1st Class on the regular trains.

Pamela
    Participant
    19 posts
    24 December 2019 at 7:40:33 #926862

Good point!

Thank you for your help, it’s really nice to run things by someone in the know.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • The thread ‘Glacier Express sold out, what to do?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.