Golden Pass & Chocolate Train in one day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2016 at 9:35:36 #810236

Hi

Can I check if I’m taking the Golden Pass. Is it possible to include the chocolate train and to do it in 1 day? Where can I take the train. Which train should I get onto?

Thank you

Cecilia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    16 October 2016 at 10:06:40 #856574

Hi Cecilia,

From your previous post I understand you plan to travel from Lucerne to Montreux by Golden Pass and return to Lucerne in one day by end November/early December, correct? In that case you won’t be able to catch the Chocolate Train for two reasons. Firstly, the Chocolate Train only runs from May to October. Secondly, even in the right season only one such train leaves from Montreux each day and that’s pretty early in the morning. Theoretically you could get back to Lucerne via Broc and visit the Lindt chocolate factory there on your own, but that will be an extremely long travel day and leave too little room for a decent visit to the chocolate factory in my opinion. Spending a night in Montreux would be a lot better if you’re eager to do both the Golden Pass and the chocolate factory visit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2016 at 13:28:58 #856575

Dear Annika.

🙁 awww…what a waste! I should have planned my trip better. Yes I plan to travel from Lucerne to Montreux on the Golden Pass Line.

Actually would it be possible for you to help me see my itinerary? I do appreciate your comments on the itinerary that I have done up. How can I improve, is the timing allocated enough for sight seeing.

28 Nov Paris to Basel to Lucerne. – Arriving Lucerne 21.05 Via IR2399

29 Nov Lucerne – Bahnhorf Bern – Arriving 11am Via IR2516 Direction Geneve-aeroport (visit Einstein and Historical Museum of Bern. The Federal Palace (Bundeshaus) Federal Parliament – Clock Tower, terraces, fountain. Bern Münster (The Cathedral of Bern and Cathedral of St Vincent) , The Kunstmuseum (Museum of Fine Arts)

Bern to Basel Via IC 1076 at about 4.36pm – Christmas Market at Barfüsserplatz & Münsterplatz Market,

Basel to Lucern Via IR2341 Arr 22:05

30 Nov The Golden Pass from Lucern>Interlaken> Zweisimmen>Montreux

17:23 Montreux to Lausanne IR1726 Platform 1

17:50 Lausanne to Lucerne IR2531 Platform 1

1st Dec Lucerne – Engelberg Via Panorama train LUZERN-ENGELBERG EXPRESS

Visit Cheese factory. Then to Bus No.1 from outside the train station >(Talstation Titlis) To visit Glacier Cave, titlist cliff walk, do winter sports like Tobogganing, snow-shoe walking, snowboarding, Titlis Rotair – Spending the full day there

2nd Dec Lucern to Rumlang (Holiday Inn Express Zurich) Via IR 26268 change to Urbane 9 18932 – direction of Schaffhausen Rumlang 8.10am arr 9.20. No plans yet for the Day. We wanted to do the Christmas Market in Zurich in the night. Please advise what can we do before that. Rhein Falls? Schaffhausen? St Gallens?

3rd Dec – 7am flight out of Zurich.

Would appreciate if you could comment on my Itinerary.

Thank you

Cecilia

Annika
    7116 posts
    17 October 2016 at 7:20:16 #856576

Hi Cecilia,

You’ve been studying the timetable quite well, so yes, all of your plans are doable. Some days are full though, and I think you’ve listed a bit too many attractions for your visit to Bern. Another thing I noticed is that you seem to spend very little time in and near Lucerne. That’s a bit of a pity, as it’s actually your base town and has lots to offer. So my advice would be to spend some more time in that region, e.g. by making shorter trips on November 28 and 29 or by spending the morning of December 2 there before heading to Zurich. But it really depends on your personal preferences. You’ve listed some specific destinations, including christmas markets, and if you’re enthusiastic about your itinerary it’s all fine!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2016 at 22:05:59 #856577

Hi Cecilia

St. Gallen is certainly worth a visit – be sure to visit the Library if you can. There is also a Christmas market in St. Gallen.

If you like Christmas markets in 2010 we found 2 really attractive ones in Winterthur which is quite close to Zurich.

Have fun

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2016 at 13:06:15 #856578

Hi Annika

Thanks for your comment. Yes understand that Bern has too many attractions to see. Might not be covering so much. Just listing and on that day will play by the ear. It’s just that Bern REALLY has lots to see. Hahaha.

Dexpending on what time the kids are awake. Will arrange to either get back earlier or leave Lucerne later to cover n enjoy Lucerne. Might not do such long hours outside Lucerne.

Can I Check if I’m going to St Gallen or Rhine Falls, do I need to get to Zurich main station before getting to these places? Is there a direct? I type St Gallen and it seems I have to go thru Zurich HB.

Yes Maggie! I’ve heard of St Gallen. Hopefully I am able to squeeze in some time. Oh so looking forward to visit Switzerland!

Thanks to Annika, Arno and Slowpoke that have given me valuable informations that helps me in my planning!

Cecilia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2016 at 13:08:55 #856579

Oh yes.I’m actually thinking of going to St Gallen or Rhine Falls after putting my luggage at the airport Hotel in Rumlang. I’m staying in holiday Inn airport hotel.

Thanks

Cecilia

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 October 2016 at 14:21:04 #856580

Hi Cecilia,

Zürich HB is a major rail junction, so indeed if the timetable tells you to go through Zürich HB then that’s the quickest option. It’s a large station but changing trains isn’t difficult. Just get the platform number of your train from the displays and follow the signs to that platform.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass & Chocolate Train in one day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.