Golden Pass reservation with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2018 at 16:10:29 #819261

We are visiting Switzerland for 8 days from July 13 to July 20, 2019. We are buying the Swiss Travel Pass. I understand we need to make reservation for the Golden pass line specially the leg from Zweisimmen to Montreux. Where do I reserve since I do not need to go through the Swiss train’s website to buy point to point ticket?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2018 at 19:40:24 #900860

Hi CdnDreamer and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can make reservations for any section of the Golden Pas route on our web page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/packages

If you haven’t bought your Swiss Travel Pass yet, you can do so online here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price – buying online gives you an electronic version to print out at your convenience (and ready for use as soon as you arrive in Switzerland). You can also print it again if you lose it.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 December 2018 at 20:09:40 #900861

You can make reservations for the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) including seat selection at bit.ly/2kaq6Rf. Just change the class of travel, date of travel and start/end points to suit. And click the “e” for English language top right of the page. (where it says “Sprachwahl: d i f e”). You won’t be able to make reservations until 90 or less days out from your travel date.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2018 at 23:56:18 #900862

Just to clarify that reservations are not obligatory. Zweisimmen – Montreux is really the only true ‘Golden Pass’ line, see my ‘faq’ I developed as a cut and paste as this query crops up time after time. :

Current tourist branding can be confusing

The true ‘Goldenpass line’ is just the MOB railway Zweisimmen – Montreux. The Luzern – Interlaken railway is actually the Brunig Pass.

The Luzern – Meiringen – Interlaken line is the Brünig pass line operated by Zentralbahn (ZB), which dubs the regular trains “Luzern – Interlaken Express’.

A few facts about the Montreux – Zweisimmen railway – ie the MOB (Montreux-Oberland Bernois):

The Golden Pass is historically only Montreux – Zweisimmen, only more recent marketing branding takes the ‘Goldenpass route’ east of Zweisimmen to Interlaken and beyond to Luzern.

The Golden Pass is the touristic branding for the Montreux – Oberland Bernois (MOB) railway which runs from Montreux to Zweisimmen, but after a few years of favouring ‘Goldenpass services’, the company decided it was losing its tradition and has reverted to putting the Chemin de Fer Montreux – Oberland Bernois name on publicity and train coaches.

MOB pioneered the Panoramic coach concept on Swiss trains, starting in 1976.

There are now several versions of panoramic coaches in service, but MOB keeps changing its mind how to dub each service.

It hardly matters anyway as most modern Swiss trains have large windows, even if not officially panoramic. The key element of a ‘panoramic’ coach is ‘toplight’ windows above your head but in practice very few of the major views from panoramic trains are directly above your head, so the view through the normal side part of windows is normally fine.

You can really use any through train on the MOB. Again, this gives you the flexibility to get on a train at whichever time suits you.

It is very scenic, but the MOB route is far from being the most spectacular (although any dubbing of this nature is going to subjective and personal) in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 December 2018 at 23:36:31 #900863

Thank you for your responses! I appreciate it!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 December 2018 at 23:37:28 #900864

Thank you 1960man!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 December 2018 at 23:38:26 #900865

Thanks Rockoyster!

• The thread ‘Golden Pass reservation with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.