Golden Pass tickets on SBB – upgrading one section

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 18:32:31 #814145

I am planning a trip for mid-march and would like to take the scenic route from Geneva to Zurich. When I look at tickets on the SBB website departing from Geneva and arriving in Zurich via Montreux-Zweisimmen-Interlaken-Luzern the prices are fantastic. Approximately 109 CHF per person for 2nd class. But if I input the journey by individual trips the prices are higher at 153 CHF. Why is that? I was thinking of upgrading to 1st class for just one part of the trip but in order to do that I believe I have to buy individual tickets. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2018 at 20:30:26 #875105

Hello Lacy and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can buy a Class Upgrade on any leg. See http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/class-upgrade.html

How does this trip fit into your overall itinerary? Is that all the travel joy will do in Switzerland?

Are you travelling before 19 March? If not please note:

Between 2018 and 2022, important adjustments in the infrastructure and rolling stock of the Montreux-Berner Oberland-Bahn (MOB) are carried out

• Construction side Montbovon–Château-d’Oex: Limitations from 19 March until 01 June 2018. There are substitute buses
    • During the construction period individual travellers cannot make any reservations between Zweisimmen and Montreux
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 13:23:14 #875106

We will be traveling on the scenic train route on March 15th. So it looks like we will just miss that construction. My son and I fly into Lyon on the 12th and spend one night there. On the 13th we head to Geneva for 2 nights to visit the labs at CERN and see the sights there. On the 15th travel to Lucerne via Goldenpass and spend One night there. hopefully we can go up into the mountains on the gondolas. Then on to Zurich for 2 nights to visit the university there and see the sights. So after adding up the prices of tickets it was going to be cheaper to buy point to point than buying a pass since we really only have the one big travel day plus a train from Lyon.

We will have our loaded backpacks with us and I read somewhere that I may be able to send them on to our destination from our starting point in Geneva or Montreux. Is that true and would it be reliable? Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 17:05:51 #875107

Yes, sometimes point to point tickets work out best. Do note that a Swiss Travel Pass also covers city transit in most towns as well as trips into the mountains (or would give you a partial discount) in case you didn’t include that in your math.

The luggage option is very reliable – you can read more about that on our website here.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 January 2018 at 20:24:18 #875108

Hi Lacy,

Have a look at the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) noting conditions. Could work for you if you can get the best price.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass tickets on SBB – upgrading one section’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.