Grindelwald in late August, early September?

• Are2
    Participant
    41 posts
    25 March 2020 at 16:27:27 #825470

We are scheduled to visit Grindelwald August 29 thru September 5th. Our accommodations are booked but still cancellable thru mid August. It appears we can reschedule our flight to Zurich but with restrictions that may not fit our future travel ability.

What are the thoughts on this forum regarding weather visiting Switzerland, and particularly the Jungfrau region, will still be possible / advisable essentially 5 months from now?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    25 March 2020 at 18:02:51 #931567

We were in Zurich, Lucerne, and the Jungfrau region for two weeks last October. Strictly from a weather perspective, it was a light jacket – or rain jacket – the entire time. Although we did encounter several drizzly & cloudy days in the first part of our trip due to a massive Atlantic hurricane that decided to finally expire over central Europe, the rest of the time was mild and mostly sunny. During a mid-day lunch at the Kleine Scheidegg train station, where the Jungfrau trains depart, it was “take your coat off and put your sunglasses on” time.

Since you will be there one month earlier, you should find even warmer conditions in general.

No one can predict what travel conditions will be five months from now, but the weather will be good.

Are2
    Participant
    41 posts
    25 March 2020 at 19:07:16 #931568

Lol…Thanks CabinJon, but I mis spoke, or actually mis typed.

What I was trying to ask is: What are the thoughts on this forum regarding “whether” visiting Switzerland, and particularly the Jungfrau region, will still be possible / advisable, given the current travel restrictions, essentially 5 months from now?

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    25 March 2020 at 20:22:23 #931569

Hah! Slightly less predictable then the weather five months from now.

Honestly, who knows? I also have summer travel plans, although not to Switzerland, but all I can do is monitor developments and decide whether to cancel or reschedule a couple months from now. Personally, I think the airlines and international brand hotels will be a bit lenient regarding rescheduling trips, or they will be forced to be lenient by public opinion or government. I don’t think the Jungfrau region will be significantly different than the rest of the country in regard to that.

Stay tuned.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2020 at 20:30:42 #931570

Hi Are2,

I am afraid it is impossible to predict how the Covid-19 situation in September in Switzerland will be. All I can recommend is to follow the news. Latest updates can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland.

Ildiko

Are2
    Participant
    41 posts
    25 March 2020 at 21:17:36 #931571

Thanks!

Because we still have some time before having to make final decisions, we’ll continue to “wait and see”. Hoping that by July things will have gotten better and the travel climate will improve.

• The thread ‘Grindelwald in late August, early September?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.