Help for my holiday planning

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2013 at 7:14:00 #805864

Hi
    My husband and 13 year old child plan to visit Switzerland in June.
    I need help to plan my itenery.
    We will be flying into Geneva/Zurich (whichever works better for the routing) .
    We plan to cover the following areas ( at least)
    Interlaken ( Jungfrau etc)
    Zermatt (glacier express etc)
    Lucerne (mt Titlis etc)

• Please help me plan the trip i.e the correct routing. We need to travel to Paris from Switzerland.
    • We would like to do the Glacier Express
    • We have about 6-7 days in hand
    • what kind of Swiss pass would i need to buy based on the itenery?

Please let me know if you need any more details.
    Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 March 2013 at 13:12:55 #838262

Welcome swisstraveller! An itinerary could look like this: fly into Zurich and head for St. Moritz. Spend one or two days there if you like, or else continue to Zermatt on the Glacier Express the next day. Move on to Interlaken after your stay in Zermatt, using the scenic Lötschberg RegioExpress via Goppenstein and Kandersteg rather than the quicker tunnel connection. Spend one or two days in Interlaken, travel to Lucerne via Meiringen and the Brünig Pass and end your trip in Zurich again. The timetable allows you to plan all trips, including the outbound one to Paris.

Long transfers are involved in such a plan, meaning that a Swiss Saver Pass or Swiss Saver Flexi Pass is the best solution. If you prefer unlimited traveling on all days, you should consider an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass. You can also get a 3 or 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, using free travel days for your most expensive transfers and discounted days for local trips. In both cases, your child will travel along for free if you get the free Swiss Family Card along with your pass. Please find details and purchase options at the Swiss Pass and Swiss Flexi Pass page.

Some more links that may be convenient:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2013 at 23:55:20 #838263

Thanks a ton Annika. This was indeed very helpful.
    One more clarification:
    If I spend 2 nights at Zermatt, do you think I could do a day trip to Geneva and back and still be able to look around comfortably?

Annika
    7124 posts
    15 March 2013 at 12:41:52 #838264

Hi swisstraveller. A single trip Zermatt-Geneva takes 3,5 to 4 hours, so I wouldn’t do this as a day trip if I were you. I think you’d be better off spending your days in or near Zermatt, or in the near Saas valley.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2013 at 13:15:57 #838265

Hi Annika
    You have been patiently answering all my queries and a result of these I have changed my plans and route. What do you think of this plan?
    Day 1 – arrive at Zurich- transfer to Lucerne – look around Lucerne
    Day 2- day trip to Mt Titlis – night at Lucerne
    Day 3 – Trip to Jungfrau (stay at Lucerne or Interlaken – what is preferable?)
    Day 4 – take the Golden Pass line to Montreux – look around the town- then overnight at Montreux
    Day 5 – day trip to Berne – overnight at Montreux
    Day 6 – day trip to Geneva – overnight at Montreux
    Day 7 – day trip to Zermatt – overnight at Montreux
    Day 8- onto Paris

We would like to use only budget hotels which provide breakfast and are very very close to the train stations. Any suggestions?
    Does this plan look feasible?

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 March 2013 at 5:58:17 #838266

Hi swisstraveler,

Your plan looks fine to me. It makes sense to stay overnight in Interlaken at the end of day 3, or you would just be traveling back and forth the same way to/from Lucerne. Alternatively, you could travel to Interlaken at the end of day 2, so that you can travel to the Jungfrau early in the morning. That gives you a better chance of clear weather.

I recommend to take a look into the passes that Annika suggested. As for hotels, please check the pages she suggested as well. All our pages with hotel suggestions can be accessed from this page. Most of these hotels are indeed very close to the rail stations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2013 at 10:20:37 #838267

Thanks again. Please tell me which is the main station at Interlaken to travel to Zurich, Luzerne and Montreux.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 March 2013 at 10:33:17 #838268

Hi,

Interlaken Ost is considered the main station, although most trains stop in Interlaken West as well, except for the ones to Luzern via Meiringen. Details are in the timetable; see the link that Annika provided.

• The thread ‘Help for my holiday planning’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.