I need some help with my Lucerne/Bernese Oberland itinerary. BTW, I will be travelling with my 81 yr old dad so we will be moving pretty slow and he cannot walk fast nor walk for long distances without asking.
How many days best to spend in each place? I have a rough itinerary below. Any suggestions? And which round trip is recommended, Mt Pilatus Golden trip or Mt Rigi majestic roundtrip? Thanks so much!
LUCERNE (2) /Bernese Oberland (3.5)– 5.5 days
• 9/17: Gothard panoramic express from Lugano to Lucerne
o Half day: Eve: chapel bridge. Old town
• 9/18: Mt Pilatus Golden trip or Mt Rigi majestic roundtrip? HELP!
• 9/19: 1st half of day: Lion Monument and Glacier Musuem, Go to Wengen
OPTION A – original plan
• 9/19: Wengen (base) (check in)
• 9/20: Grindelwald / Schynige Platte
• 9/21: Lauterbrunnen/ Murren
• 9/22: Take Golden Pass to Montreux
• Head to Salzburg/Vienna (1 wk) - may take a flight from Geneva to Vienna
I didn’t realize that there were other beautiful places to see! As I don’t want to just see mountains. Is there any way to fit these in? What’s the order of recommendation if I can’t do it all? Or would I need an extra day? Other places I’m interested in: Lake Brienz (how can we best see this? By boat? I heard Iseltwald is nice?), Aareschlucht gorge, Beatus hohlen. Any places is a MUST SEE and what I could cut out? Should I add a day and cut from Austria?
OPTION B – better?
• 9/19: Wengen (check in), Grindelwald – Is Wengen still the best base based on new itinerary?
• 9/20: Lauterbrunnen/ Murren / Schynige Platte
• 9/21: Lake Brienz/ Aareschlucht gorge
• 9/22: Take Golden Pass to Montreux or should I skip this altogether and go back to Zurich and take the train to Salzburg? Is the Golden Pass to Montreux worth it?
Thanks so much for your time everyone!!! =)