Help with Swiss rail tickets – I”m confused

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2010 at 19:51:19 #803811

Hello, We are a family of 4 (children aged 8 & 10) travelling to Zurich for 3 and 1/2 days in August. As our flight arrives early our plan is to catch the train straight to Lucerne and spend the 1st day sightseeing in Lucerne (so need buses and boats in Lucerne), the 2nd day travel by train from Lucerne to Mt Titlis and return. The 3rd day travel back to Zurich by train and sight see around Zurich. We leave lunchtime on last day. I’m trying to work out whether we are best to purchase the 3 day Swiss saver flexi pass or what?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    7 May 2010 at 3:53:49 #831230

Hello Zandan, welcome to the forum! The regular costs per person and in 2nd class of the trips you mention, which can be calculated in the online timetable, are as follows:

– Zurich Airport – Lucerne: CHF 27.00
    – Lucerne – Engelberg (base of Mt. Titlis) – Lucerne: CHF 32.00
    – Engelberg – Mt. Titlis – Engelberg: CHF 82.00
    – Lucerne – Zurich Airport: CHF 27.00
    – Total: CHF 168.00

This doesn’t include bus transportation and boat trips in and around Lucerne yet, as I’m not quite sure what trips you have in mind. Prices for the boat rides can be found at the website of Lake Lucerne. If you add the price for a boat trip (just to give an example: from Lucerne to Alpnachstad and back, which costs CHF 38.00 and would make a total of CHF 206.00) and urban transportation in Lucerne and Zurich, you’re best off with a Swiss Half Fare Card. This offers a 50% discount on most trips, including urban transportation in Zurich and Lucerne. You would pay CHF 99.00 for the Swiss Half Fare Card and CHF 103.00 (for the example I just mentioned) for the other trips, which makes a total of CHF 202.00.

A 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass costs CHF 212.00, but you should add the costs of a discounted return ticket Engelberg – Mt. Titlis to this. So in all, it’s a more expensive solution than the Swiss Half Fare Card.
    Your children travel along for free if you order a free STS Family Card along with your passes.

I hope it’s clear now!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2010 at 5:08:29 #831231

Thanks Annika, This is great information. I think I’ll stick with the Swiss saver flexi pass as we will be travelling to and from our accommodation in Lucerne by bus and will probably use it travelling around Zurich so we’ll probably be better off in the long run. It will also be more convenient with just one ticket instead of having to purchase multiple tickets. Just one last question. Is the price the same if we purchase when we get to Zurich or is it cheaper online? Regards, Zandan.

Annika
    7124 posts
    7 May 2010 at 5:38:22 #831232

Hi Zandan. The mentioned prices is what you would pay in Switzerland. Online prices vary with the country of the traveler and exchange rates. Where do you live?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2010 at 5:46:05 #831233

Hi Annika,
    I’m in Australia.
    Regards, Zandan.

Annika
    7124 posts
    7 May 2010 at 8:55:22 #831234

Currently, a 3-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass costs CHF 212 per person in Switzerland. With today’s exchange rates, that would be AUD 215. The current online price is about the same: AUD 213. The delivery fee depends on the shipping option you choose. Please refer to the Swiss Flexi Pass page for ordering options.

Enjoy your traveling!

• The thread ‘Help with Swiss rail tickets – I”m confused’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.