Hike Männlichen-Kleine Scheideg, cold fall weather

• cloud9
    Participant
    10 posts
    22 September 2022 at 14:07:59 #828405

We’re less than 48 hours away from flying to Switzerland and so excited. It’ll be our first trip there! We’ll be in the Jungfrau region a week from now. I know it’s too early to rely on current forecasts, but it looks like even if we get a couple of clear days, it will be quite cold above 2000 meters.

We want to do the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk on one of the days if we have clear weather but we have never done hikes that high up before let alone in cold weather. MeteoBlue says that the temperature around 11am to 12 will be 1 C but will feel like around -3C with wind speed between 2 and 13 m/s. Even if the trail is still open, am I right in thinking that these conditions may not be comfortable for the walk? I just want to have a back up for some higher altitude views on a clear day. We’ll be going up to the Schilthorn and doing the Murren to Gimmelwald walk on another day. Would Schynige Platte be an alternative? We wouldn’t do the panorama ridge trail, though. I’m assuming that the Alpine garden wouldn’t have any flowers either.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2022 at 15:52:13 #947219

Hi cloud9,

yes, actually it is colder now, even in lower altitudes than it is usually. I recommend MeteoSwiss, you can download the app and it is great. I always use that. (Learn more about the weather here: http://www.myswissalps.com/weather)

-3 is OK if you have proper winter clothes, otherwise, it is very very cold.Where are you coming from? How is the weather overthere now?

I am not sure how are the flowers at Schynige Platte right now, but I’ve been around 1800-2000 m last weekend (near the Aletsch Glacier), and there was still some kind of flowers. Plus, the autumn colors, so it was just wonderful!

I recommend the following: on your first mountain top do not plan any hiking activities, just check how you like the weather and the temperature. Then on your next mountain top, you can already be prepared. At least I would do this.

And make sure to take layered clothing. And sun cream.

You’ll find some other practical hiking tips here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking.

Take care,

Ildiko

cloud9
    Participant
    10 posts
    22 September 2022 at 16:11:11 #947220

That is very good advice to not do a high altitude hike on the first day. We are from Bangalore, India where the current weather is dry and very pleasant – a minimum of 15 C! But we have lived in New York City and Copenhagen in winter years ago and most recently walked around Vienna when it was -5 to 0 C but we have never done any exposed mountain hiking at those temperatures. I think we’ll do the Schilthorn and Birg Thrill walk on the first clear day and then decide.

Thanks Ildiko!

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    22 September 2022 at 17:43:18 #947221

In my humble opinion this isn’t a “high altitude” hike. I am from an area that is practically at sea level and didn’t have ANY issue with the “hike” And it’s more of a stroll. No steep inclines or decent. It is very mild of a walk. That’s my thought anyway.

Have a great trip!

cloud9
    Participant
    10 posts
    22 September 2022 at 18:48:49 #947222

I know it’s not really a hike but did you do it in -3 C temps with strong winds? It’s not the physical effort of walking I’m worried about.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    22 September 2022 at 19:17:23 #947223

Ah.. gotcha. I though maybe it was an altitude thing.

I have hiked in pretty cold weather and found if I have the right gear it wasn’t a problem. Remember the old saying, “there’s no bad weather, just bad gear” 🙂

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    22 September 2022 at 22:16:43 #947224

Hi.

As has already been noted, the conditions at the moment aren’t too bad if you have the right clothing. The most important thing is to keep the wind out and to keep your extremities warm – by that I mean fingers, toes, ears and nose. When those bits get cold it can be really unpleasant, so take a warm hat that covers the ears, a scarf that can cover your nose, gloves (not ski gloves – too bulky) and weather proof shoes with warm socks. Running shoes won’t do because they are designed to keep your feet cool, not warm, likewise, no open toed shoes or sandals. A wind proof shell or rain jacket will keep the wind out (not a poncho) and a jumper or fibre pile vest or jacket to keep your core warm and you are set. If conditions are great you may not need any of these things on the Maennlichen walk, but you probably will at the Schilthorn. If you haven’t got some of these thing yet, there are plenty of sports shops around like Intersport, Buri Sport, Mammut, Bernett, etc that will have what you need.

Have Fun!

Alan

cloud9
    Participant
    10 posts
    23 September 2022 at 0:54:18 #947225

Got it… thanks AlanPrice and pkerr! Yes, we have already packed all our layers, jackets, woolly hat, gloves and hiking shoes. Now I feel better that we may still be able to do that walk 🙂

• The thread ‘Hike Männlichen-Kleine Scheideg, cold fall weather’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.