Hiking the ultra trail E101

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2014 at 15:38:53 #806432

We want to hike the ultra trail Suisse (route E101). In our opinion a very nice route. We would like to do it in 4 days.

We have planned tot arrive at 18 June. The question is how are the wheater conditions at the moment or what is the forecast for the upcoming days. Is it possible to walk the complete route anyway?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    11 June 2014 at 15:22:22 #840175

Hello Renedrachter,

The Eiger Ultra Trail is very nice indeed. But it’s a bit early in the season for such a route. Most of it will be accessible, but the higher parts may still be snow covered. You can best check the weather forecast one day before and check with the local tourist office for the trail conditions. The weather has been quite warm, but also wet, which can result in fresh snow at higher altitudes.

Also see this and this topic with recent information.

Four days is not much for the full 101 km. Unless you’re a very experienced hiker, I would not count on completing that distance for 4 days in a row.

Have a beautiful time in the Jungfrau region!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2014 at 20:10:26 #840176

Hello Annika,

thanks for the answers. From origine we do trailrunning, but the distance in the alps is for us in one day too far. We Will check the weatherconditions and trailconditions daily before we leave, that is a good advice. We hope the temperature Will stay high for the upcoming days. We are curious About the Faulhorn. Is iT possible to go on a lower altitude there if the trailconditions are too bad? We have experience with hiking but not. in this region and also on lower altitude. But we have trained a long time, almost a year, and we are good prepared, so we go for iT but we Will take no. risks. So the trailconditions are for sure important for us.

René

Annika
    7104 posts
    12 June 2014 at 14:38:45 #840177

Hi René,

There’s a trail bypassing the Faulhorn about 100 m lower. But I am not sure if that will be much of a difference. The hotel on the Faulhorn only opens on June 25, so that tells us they don’t consider the area accessible until then.

An alternative in this area could be First via the Bachsee to Bussalp. From there down by bus to Grindelwald, or continue on foot to the train station in Burglauenen for example. You’d better check there whether this trail is accessible.

I’m sure you’ll have a great time, but you may need to make some adjustments here and there. There are lots of suggestions in our hiking section. A trip report is always very welcome!

I just noticed you’re from the Netherlands. There is a Dutch version of this forum too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2014 at 19:06:18 #840178

Hello Annika,

thanks for the other trailsuggestions. We will make the final decisions day by day. Depends on the weatherconditions.

A trip report we will send you with our experiences.

René

Annika
    7104 posts
    14 June 2014 at 7:25:55 #840179

Great to hear that, have a wonderful stay!

Annika
    7104 posts
    7 July 2014 at 10:09:40 #840180

Hi René,

I am curious about how your trip was. Were you able to do most of what you had planned? No snow difficulties? It would be great if you have time to submit a trip report. You may win a hotel voucher!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2014 at 21:07:57 #840181

I will. Due to workshop i was not able to finish my travelreport.

We have a wonderfull trip. But due to circumstances we were too early on the faulhorn . We could pas due to snow and have to go down and back. But however we hiked in tour days more than 90 kilometers. We did a great part of the trail. I will report soon….

René

• The thread ‘Hiking the ultra trail E101’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.