How to buy public transport ticket to Mt Titlis?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2016 at 5:33:11 #808302

Hi…

This March me and my husband will travel to lucern. It is a day trip. Arrive at lucern main station in the morning,and will continue to zurich arround 3 pm from lucern.

Our main ittinerary is going to mt. Titlis. I already look for return ticket from lucern to klein titlis via sbb.ch. My questions are :

1. Why is the price/fare not shown,while ticket from lucern to zurich is shown with its price. I have tried to changed the earlier date (just for simulation) but again the fare is not shown up. What should i do?

2. The transit schedule from sbb.ch is very tight. For examples…there are only 2 minutes to change from rotair gondola to cable car..which is imposible for us who are fisrstimers, and considering the crowds line. Is the ticket only valid for the ecxact schedule or there is some periode tolerancy…

Sorry if the question is so repost…but i couldnt find same question in this forum.

Really appreciate your answer…

Cheers. Nurulrahma

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 January 2016 at 6:18:55 #847870

Hi Nurulrahmam, thanks for your post!

1. Cable car prices are often not included. It’s explained on our timetable page. You need buy a train ticket to Engelberg. In Engelberg, you walk to the cable car station and buy a ticket to the top and back. From the top of my mind the cable car is around CHF 80 per person. Links to prices and much more can be found on our Titlis page.
    2. Two minutes is perfectly fine to switch from one cable car to the other. Just follow the signs and the crowd. It’s hard to miss it, but if you do your ticket will be valid for the next one.

Note that regular tickets are quite expensive. A Swiss Half Fare Card grants a 50% discount on all tickets. I don’t know about your other travel plans, but it might be worth it to look into that option. The Tell-Pass Winter is another option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2016 at 15:10:14 #847871

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your fast respon. So I can buy return ticket from lucerne to engelberg via online,but for the rest of the trip up until the mountain I can buy on the day we arrive at engelberg right? There is also option to take bus from engelberg to the first cable car… Is the 80CHF ticket ,included this bus ticket?? Because we want to save our energy, instead of long walking to the cable car station. Espescialy after taking a ‘twice transits’ night train from munich😊.

About the pass. We only travel in Swiss just 1 day. Morning arrive to lucerne (from munich). And in the evening we have to leave zurich heading to Milan. We dont spend the night in Swiss. Is this better buying the single ticket for my journey from luzern to mt titlis (return) and luzern to zurich ?? Or are there cheaper options ??

Thanks a lot for the answer

Nurul

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 January 2016 at 16:48:43 #847872

Hi Nurul,

You can buy all of it online (see here and here) or on the spot. There’s a bus in Engelberg, but it’s just a 10 minute walk (see the page Arno linked to). The cable car ticket does not include the bus; you would use the bus before you reach the cable car station and buy the ticket (if you decide to buy locally).

For just one day you do not need a pass. In that case you’d better watch out for cheap train tickets Germany to Switzerland and Switzerland to Italy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2016 at 6:03:02 #847873

Hi Annika

Thanks a lot for the answer. Onemore thing… Is there advantage buying ticket via on line? Or they are same price?

Yup I have bought those tickets (munich-lucerne and zurich-milan) from captain train.

Cheers

Nurul

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 January 2016 at 15:23:31 #847874

Hi Nurul,

I assume you mean the Titlis tickets, right? You can find prices on the page Annika linked to, then click the links provided there. Online prices are usually the same as local prices. They might be a bit cheaper or a bit more expensive due to exchange rates. The advantage is that you don’t have to queue for the ticket office, although in some case you’ll get a voucher to exchange for the actual ticket. In your case buying the cable car tickets locally could be better, as you should not go up at all if the weather is not good enough within the limited time frame you have available. Normally we recommend to watch the weather forecast and pick the best day for such trips, but if you just have one day you’re hopefully lucky!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2016 at 3:28:02 #847875

Thanks a lot Arno and Annika.

• The thread ‘How to buy public transport ticket to Mt Titlis?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.